Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Question Battery Question
    When I am at home i prefer to be plugged in. Is it OK if i take out my battery (already charged) and put it back in when i am not going to be plugged in or am i better of just leaving in the battery

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    leaving it contantly plugged in with the battery will reduce your battery lifetime over time. maybe not noticably at first, but i would suggest not having the battry in there unless you're charging it.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I sure wish that was written some where in the original documentation that comes with the hardware.

It looks like I may have hurt the batteries currently in my powerbook and ibook. I tend to have it plugged in most of the time.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAddikt
    leaving it contantly plugged in with the battery will reduce your battery lifetime over time. maybe not noticably at first, but i would suggest not having the battry in there unless you're charging it.

so i am doing the right thing by taking out the battery when its already charged and i am going to be plugged in

Specs:
    G52x1.81.53208x+/-
    it wont make aa difference if its just for the day or so, but when you do it for days and weeks then it'll start "overcharging" the battery

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAddikt
    it wont make aa difference if its just for the day or so, but when you do it for days and weeks then it'll start "overcharging" the battery
    alright just wanted to make sure it was alright to remove the battery and just use direct ac power

elvis2000
    If I have half drained the battery, is better to fully use the ramaining charge before plugging in mains power, or doesn't it matter?

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I have read some where it is not good to drain the battery all the time.

greylnx
    AFAIK, when using a lithium ion battery, it's a good idea to go through a full power cycle from time to time. It's not as important as with a NiCad, but it's a good idea nonetheless. I've also heard that it's not a good idea to let a lithium ion battery go completely flat.

I can't really speak for the original topic of the thread, as I've never sat around on AC with the battery out of my laptop. Usually I run the battery down most of the way and then plug it in, just to make sure the battery is still in good condition.

Specs:
    17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
    I leave mine plugged in, and from other forums that I've read it shouldn't make a difference. Lithium Ion batteries don't have a memory, so you shouldn't have to worry about battery life. I think I read somewhere that the stated charge/drain count is like 2000 times. If you do that math, that is 5.5 years at one charge a day. That's a pretty good lifespan for a battery.

Of course this is my opinion/conclusion, I don't guarantee the health and safety of a battery for anyone else
    Emrys
    Community Administrator / Moderator
    MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!

Thread Information