New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - missing hard drive space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pailong

Pailong is on a distinguished road

Hi there, i have a 17" macbook pro running Mac OX X Tiger and recently I noticed that my harddrive was almost full. I started to delete alot of things from the computer and I tried calculating and adding up how much space my stuff takes up and I seem to have something like 20GB missing.

Im not too sure how much space Mac OS X Tiger takes up but i doubt it would take up 20GB. I also do the software update frequently.

And also, how do i delete temporary files like on windows? I notice that when I run Shake, hard drive space slowly disappears. Thing is when i close Shake the space doesnt come back. On my windows computer, my norton antivirus accumulates all the excess files and I can delete it through that, not sure how to clean it out on the mac though.

hope that makes sense, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Pick up a maintenance utility like Onyx or Main Menu. Use those to run a variety of tasks, especially the cache and log cleaners. That should help restore some space.

If you want to see where all your disk space is going to, try one of these apps and see if they can shed some light:
WhatSize
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21149
Where Is My Disk Space?
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18226
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro dead pixel | DVD Drive Clunking »