New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP upgrade to 4 gigs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plague27

plague27 is on a distinguished road

I am looking into getting 4 gigs of memory of newegg. I am curious if there is a difference between memory advertised as apple compatible and just regular plain jane pc-5300 notebook memory. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
asimplefarmer

asimplefarmer is on a distinguished road

I use pc2-5400 in my MB

PC2-5400 and 5300 are the same deal so I say go for it as long as your MBP supports it!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

just make sure you don't buy it from apple...
$1,000 for 4gigs is unbelievable
got mine from newegg for $74

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
just make sure you don't buy it from apple...
$1,000 for 4gigs is unbelievable
got mine from newegg for $74
No kidding I was looking at Ncix (Canadian parts company) and they had a dual channel kit for 99$ Canadian.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

RAM is pretty much all the same within it's classes i.e.: 5300, 2600, etc. Just keep your original RAM chips in case you need to send it back to Apple for repair. Apple RAM is no better, IMHO than anything else as long as whatever you are buying has a replacement guarantee of worth. I have 4GB of OWC RAM in my MB and it runs just fine.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
plague27

plague27 is on a distinguished road

How do I know if it is compatible with a mac? I ordered some cheap 80 dollars 2x2 gig sticks off newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231135
and am just curious if I can expect them to be fine. People reported them working in Mac's so I can't help but wonder.
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

i got a mbp 2.16ghz and i got 2gb ram already, but i was wondering if the max for my model is 3gb?? cause i think only the newer chipset can handle 4gb. also you think there would be a difference from 2 to 3 or not worth it?

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
Big-Foot

Big-Foot is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplefarmer View Post
I use pc2-5400 in my MB

PC2-5400 and 5300 are the same deal so I say go for it as long as your MBP supports it!
The 5400 RAM will work with faster refresh rates but will work fine in machines like ours that call for the slower 5300 spec.

I am using 2-2GB sticks (total 4GB) of 5400 in mine...

Regards - Randy in Minneapolis, MN
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Both 3GB and 4GB have worked in my MB. The performance was pretty large going from 2GB to 3GB, but not quite as much going to 4GB. Haven't seen any beachballs in quite a while now...

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
ratc21

ratc21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb

Along these same lines.....I've ordered 4g of ram from Crucial.com for my MBP 2.4ghz and was wondering if there is documentation online somewhere that shows where/how to replace the ram in a MBP? (I've done this many times on a pc but never on a mac.) Is the memory accessible from the bottom? Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Here you go
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacB...Core-2-Duo/115
QUOTE Thanks
ratc21

ratc21 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb, 500g, Lion; iPhone 4, 16gb; iPad 2 32gb, WiFi; iPhone 4s, 32gb

Perfect.....thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

Warning: HIJACK : Warning

I'm also considering upgrading my new MBP from 2 Gig to 4 Gig. I have to say that, while I have a fairly good understanding of software, I don't understand some of the innerworkings of computer hardware.
When you talk about speed... (rendering of video, opening and closing and running large programs like pro tools... running high quality audio live on stage with reliability ) how much has to do with your processor and how much to do with RAM?
In other words, should I expect much better render times, etc.., with 4 gigs of ram or will it be overkill....
Or is it just too cheap to NOT buy???
QUOTE Thanks
Gnebulous

Gnebulous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedspeth View Post
When you talk about speed... (rendering of video, opening and closing and running large programs like pro tools... running high quality audio live on stage with reliability ) how much has to do with your processor and how much to do with RAM?
In other words, should I expect much better render times, etc.., with 4 gigs of ram or will it be overkill....
Or is it just too cheap to NOT buy???
I have very little experience with high-end audio software, but I DO have experience with high-end graphics programs and the more RAM the better. I'm sure it's the same with audio apps. If you have multiple programs open at the same time a memory upgrade will definitely give you a performance boost.

Plus, upgrading memory is a heck of a lot cheaper than upgrading your processor (which could also mean buying a whole new motherboard, which essentially could lead to buying a whole new machine). With how cheap memory is nowadays, I'd say make the jump to 4gb. I'm positive you'll see an increase in performance!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

ANYTHING thats 5300 or 5400 will work.

i read an article a few months ago stating that its all in how Manufacturers round digits with the memory. They are the same.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G3 what HD size? | Which PowerBook G4 do u Prefer Ti vs Alum ? »