New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook heat problems! help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamessmells

Hi! My ibook regularly gets very hot! About 70 degrees celcius! (hot enough to burn, especially underneath the keyboard, and abouve the F keys!). The fan only kicks in around 70 degrees, which in my opinion is far too late! Is there a way to manually turn on the cooling fan? or lower the temperature for it to automatically kick in??

I would appreciate any help!

Cheers, James..

Using an iBook G4, 1.2ghz.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Um...I know no way to turn the fan on manually, but there probably is a way through terminal. Though if it makes you feel any better...ibooks and powerbooks both get pretty stinking hot...I know my powerbook can get really toasty sometimes...I don't know what temperature..but hot hot....and it's normal....but I'm sure someone else can help you out.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

I have the same problem myself, but I honestly don't even want to have to resort to the fan. There's plenty of "incline cooling" options which I'm planning to try. Various companies make a couple good pads to cool the laptop from what I hear, but I'm first going to try these things called Dr. Bodelin's Laptop Bumpers, which can be purchased at powermax.com, among other places. It gives incline and therefore air flow to the iBook for cheap, so hopefully that'll serve to cool it.

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

what are yall doing to make it get so hot. mine will run at 130 deg f sometimes when i am playing that **** nanosaur game or watching a movie and doing other things. it usually stays around 100 deg f. i think there is a utility that you can adjust your fan with but i am not sure what it is.

QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

hey

yes mine can get very hot just like the others

but if its as hot as you say - like burning hot

I don't think thats right and I would take it in and get it checked out

regards
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan23

maybe you should check to see if your battery is on the recall list.i just found out mines is on the recall list and my used to get pretty hot.Ibook Rechargeable battery recall, CHECK IT OUT!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

I had the same issue with my iBook. When i opened my activity monitor it was showing Virex was using 76% of my system resources. My ibook at one point got to 159 degrees F. now that i have removed the problem mine never gets over 120 degrees or so when doing video editing and stuff like that. I would check there see what is using the CPU so much that its heating up so hot.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive | Dial-up internet problem »