New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Sleep Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phleetus

I have a 17in Powerbook (about 7 months old). About every other day or so, I will walk away from my computer and, as it should, it reverts to sleep mode. When i am then ready to use it again, it will not awake. I end up having to push the power button several times before the computer shuts down and then I have to reboot. Any Ideas?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Did you try pushing the esc key? The mouse buttons? Everything? If you have to, just close the lid and leave it for like 3 seconds, then open the lid, it should awaken. But it looks like you have a serious problem. You might want to check out system prefs, see if anything's amiss, and then definitely take your PB to repair. In the meantime, you can just turn off sleep mode altogether unless you close the lid (look in system prefs).

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
Phleetus

I have tried the esc, mouse buttons, etc. nothing works. this is my first mac, so i am not real familiar with maintenance issues. Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Ahh, that's pretty screwed up then . I suggest turning off auto-go-to-sleep. System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Slide the 1st dial (Put the computer to sleep when it's inactive for: ) all the way to the right, so it's set to 'Never'. This will mean that your PB will never go to sleep. You should probably keep it like this until you fix it.

Also, when you close your PowerBook, does it go to sleep like it's supposed to, and when you open your PowerBook, does it wake up like it's supposed to? Just wondering.

Definitely take it in though, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

ALSO: check out this article: http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...40923082334985 . Your PowerBook might have some of the symptoms.

Finally, does the battery have plenty of charge left? The PB goes to sleep if the charge gets below 1%, and it won't wake up
QUOTE Thanks
Phleetus

most of the time it goes to sleep and wakes up as it should (when i leave it and when i close it). it is just every few days that it decides it doesn't want to respond. thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

i had a similar problem...see my recent posts. sending in for repair. Good luck to you.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
most of the time it goes to sleep and wakes up as it should (when i leave it and when i close it). it is just every few days that it decides it doesn't want to respond. thanks for the help.
My guess is that the battery dies while your PowerBook is sleeping, that's the only logical explanation. I would still take it in, just to make sure though. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about ctrl, apple, shift keys on powerbook | Techenical and warranty issues with iBook 14", pls help! »