New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Usb ports not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickvk

nickvk is on a distinguished road

When I try to plug in my ipod or external hd they appear in the system profiler under the usb tab but do not work or show up elsewhere. Does anyone know of a fix for this?
QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

ahhh I had the very same problem as you a while back Finder wouldn't "find" any of my external hardware (iPods and such). I just restarted it and everything seemed to work fine after that

If this fails, in disk utility (careful here, you could do a LOT of damage in disk utility) you can manually mount the drives yourself.

A bit more info would also be helpful, like what are the specs for the MB? and do the devices power on when connected to the USB ports?
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Reboot your mac then repair disk permissions from within disk utility then reboot again.
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

For the External HD problem, try a program called disk warrior.
It does cost $$ but is worth it.

Macbook- 2.16GHz core 2 duo/2GB RAM/120GB Hard Drive
iMac 20" Aluminum 2.4GHz core 2 duo/4GB RAM/250GB Hard Drive
PC 3.5 GHz core 2 duo/8GB RAM/160GB Hard Drive/Nvidia GTX 275
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If they are not showing up on the Desktop:
Open Finder, then on the menu bar at the top, click on Finder and open Preferences.
Then on the '"General" tab, place a check mark next to 'External Disks" and also next to "CDs, DVDs and iPods"

If they are not showing up in the Sidebar in Finder:
Same place, go to the "Sidebar" tab, place a check mark next to.....

Not sure if you need to reboot or not, let us know....

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
c_rivas

c_rivas is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem. My iPod (Used as external HD) and iPhone don't come up on desktop, iTunes or anything. They don't even start charging like they're getting anything from the computer. Even my printer does not show up or register that it's plugged in. When I restart my macbook they start working again, but then a couple days later it starts doing this again. How can I solve this issue? My macbook is from 2007 and I'm running Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
starsurge

starsurge is on a distinguished road

My problem is not quite like yours. It's probably more serious, and perhaps much more funny, if I could only laugh about it.

Was using an external CD/DVD drive, and now neither USB will work.
I fried my CD/DVD drive (my wonderful husband, without asking, plugged it into A/C power--it's supposed to run off of computer power!), and now I get the "USB drawing too much power" message, and neither USB will work.

I've tried resetting PRAM and system profiler doesn't show anything is connected. I am running 10.6.

OR, does anyone know of a good Firewire-USB cable? I know they're rare...but I'm desperate! I need USBs for my piano studio, not just my mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See my answer to you in the other thread where you posted the same thing.

LINK

Only post to one thread. Posting the same question to multiple threads causes confusion and clutters the forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "A USB Device is Drawing Too Much Power..." | MacBook Screen »