New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Replace broken MacBook screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xer

Xer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White

Hey.
I have a MacBook 13.3".

Recently something fell from the shelf on the screen and blew the screen to smithereens.

The computer is still under Apple warranty (I have it only for 3 months) and I wanted to know how much it will cost to replace it??

Thanks a lot

Erez
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer View Post
Hey.
I have a MacBook 13.3".

Recently something fell from the shelf on the screen and blew the screen to smithereens.

The computer is still under Apple warranty (I have it only for 3 months)
Your warranty is irrelevant in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer View Post
how much it will cost to replace it??
At least a few hundred bucks.... I would estimate around $600 to $700, possibly more.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

D3v is correct. It will cost you a shiny penny to get it replaced from Apple. There are 3rd party companies that will do replacements but they usually cost 3 - 400 dollars for the procedure. I am (doing one) / have replaced the LCD's myself and they aren't that hard to do at all. I just buy the LCD panel and then swap it out.

QUOTE Thanks
Xer

Xer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
D3v is correct. It will cost you a shiny penny to get it replaced from Apple. There are 3rd party companies that will do replacements but they usually cost 3 - 400 dollars for the procedure. I am (doing one) / have replaced the LCD's myself and they aren't that hard to do at all. I just buy the LCD panel and then swap it out.
Wow that's a lot of money..

And where can I get that LCD screen myself? is there a tutorial to replace the screen myself?

Thank you a lot

Erez
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes there is. Here's the link.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

What about insurance?
QUOTE Thanks
MacService

MacService is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD

The install is not too painful if you want to attempt it yourself (obviously I'm shunning away business), The best place for the part is going to be eBay. You'll find a couple vendors selling them from $175 - $250. Be prepared to spend a couple hours if this is the first time you are doing something like this, there's some tricky spots on the MacBook.

-Justin
MacService.com
QUOTE Thanks
JeffBookPro

JeffBookPro is on a distinguished road

Ebay is great, here is a example of one of the auctions of a screen they have
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-13...QQcmdZViewItem

Macbook- 2.16GHz core 2 duo/2GB RAM/120GB Hard Drive
iMac 20" Aluminum 2.4GHz core 2 duo/4GB RAM/250GB Hard Drive
PC 3.5 GHz core 2 duo/8GB RAM/160GB Hard Drive/Nvidia GTX 275
QUOTE Thanks
delianka

delianka is on a distinguished road

Guys,
I just had my MBP 2.4 GHz LED screen broken.. I will try to fix it myself. Do you know where to buy the correct screen that will fit to my MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
Thenewguy

Thenewguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by delianka View Post
Guys,
I just had my MBP 2.4 GHz LED screen broken.. I will try to fix it myself. Do you know where to buy the correct screen that will fit to my MBP?
When looking for a good place to buy screens, don't use "Macbook Pro 15-inch" as a search term. Use your model number and the word LCD. You probably have the A1226 or A1260, so search for "A1226 LCD".

PowerbookMedic.com, ScreenCountry.com, ETechparts.com. Those are the most legit places to get screens. You might be able to get something cheaper on eBay, but then if something is wrong with it or it has stuck pixels, you don't have the ability to return it to an actual retailer, as you would if you bought it from the places above.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I would highly recommend contacting iResq. I've sent many people to them over the years and the price is currently discounted for the white Macbook screen replacement service - between $170-200. They'll turn it around in a couple of days. Trust me... I've done the screen replacement in MacBooks. It's worth the $200 to have someone do it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Thenewguy

Thenewguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
I would highly recommend contacting iResq. I've sent many people to them over the years and the price is currently discounted for the white Macbook screen replacement service - between $170-200. They'll turn it around in a couple of days. Trust me... I've done the screen replacement in MacBooks. It's worth the $200 to have someone do it for you.
I can personally recommend iResq as well as CrackedMacScreen.com. I used iResq to fix a broken iPod Classic (I have huge hands so the repair was way out of my league!). I used CrackedMacScreen.com for a Macbook repair. Like iResq they were great.

A lot of the online shipping places are the same, so just go with the one that you feel comfortable with. I prefer a company where I can talk to a real person throughout the repair, but that's just me!

But yea, it's worth having someone else do the repair for you.
QUOTE Thanks
onlymacs

onlymacs is on a distinguished road

I have a new Macbook Pro (6 months old). It had a hard plastic case on it and I kept it in a neoprene case. Last month, it feel off the top of my truck AND I ran it over. No joke!! The first amazing thing is that the only thing that broke was the glass on the screen. (The LCD part is fine!!) Amazing work Apple, absolutely amazing. Then the terror began of not being covered under Apple Care and the price of repair. Some shops wanted to fix the entire screen for $600. Instead.... I used iResQ. They are an (online) authorized Apple repair shop. They overnight shipped me a box and prepaid shipping to send my computer off for repair. I mailed my computer of on Monday before 3pm. They replaced the glass screen. I received me repaired computer on Wednesday before 10am. I paid in total less than $250. I highly recommend this company. The service is better than disney world!!
QUOTE Thanks
huffy7274

huffy7274 is on a distinguished road

i'm really freaking out right now because my screen has a couple of little cracks on it and my dad is going to kill me. we have warranty but they don't cover accidents and i was wondering why that was (that's the whole reason my dad got the warranty)
QUOTE Thanks
aaronedempsey

aaronedempsey is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.

Just wondering if somebody can help me out here, have a black macbook 13" about five years old. From time to time the screen will turn completely white and not blank, the only way yo get it to revert back is to put the mac to sleep or simply close the laptop and open it again. This seems to be happening about twice a day now, which has lead me to believe the screen is on the way out.

Really dont want to throw the towel in yet and buy an new mac, plus I really cant afford a new one at the moe. If i buy a new lcd screen.... how much are we talking? Or more to the point, is this problem fixable without the purchase of a new screen, ive already brought into a shop and was told that all connections are working fine but to be honest there really useless in this particular shop and would like a second opinion.

Also i would like to add that when the screen turns white, every single command still works fine, (ive even still djayed with this problem)
for the obvious that you can see the screen and its contents.

Any ideas on what i should do on replacement and cost in euros, im living in Ireland.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound and Brightness Keys are not working | Mid 2009 Macbook Pro Heat Issues »