New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Keep my MacBook Pro cool?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

damainman

damainman is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Was curious what i should do to keep my macbook cool. I rarely hear the fans spinning, but sometimes it gets pretty hot.

Was wondering if there is a program to check the temperature of my computer, and adjust the fans as needed... but also curious if this would add more wear and tear on my fans....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
yellow19man

yellow19man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by damainman View Post
Hello,

Was curious what i should do to keep my macbook cool. I rarely hear the fans spinning, but sometimes it gets pretty hot.

Was wondering if there is a program to check the temperature of my computer, and adjust the fans as needed... but also curious if this would add more wear and tear on my fans....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Search this forum, it has tons of information on heat issues with all Macs.

Try smcFanControl. Easy program to use.

1st - Performa 5200 75MHz // 2nd - B&W G3 300MHz // 3rd - MBP C2D 2.2 GHz

1st - iPod Touch 8gig
QUOTE Thanks
damainman

damainman is on a distinguished road

Sorry for updating an old thread but i attached an image of my computer temperatures.... can anyone tell me whether or not they are too hot or am i being paranoid lol??

I never hear my fan running, except when running games and alot of videos but besides that I can't feel air on the air vent and i never hear it running so it makes me worried...

However this is my first mac, so not sure whats the norm.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (51.2 KB, 43 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to Hardware -> Apple Notebooks*
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by damainman View Post
Sorry for updating an old thread but i attached an image of my computer temperatures.... can anyone tell me whether or not they are too hot or am i being paranoid lol??

I never hear my fan running, except when running games and alot of videos but besides that I can't feel air on the air vent and i never hear it running so it makes me worried...

However this is my first mac, so not sure whats the norm.
you are being paranoid, youre fine.

add your specs to your sig though, thatll really help people out in the future with your questions.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
imnothardcore

imnothardcore is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G

from what ive read, when people start playing with fan settings and etc they begin to epicly eff their computer up.

i have the istat pro widget, its pretty cool.
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

The fans will speed up/slow down on their own, automatically, and as needed. There is no need to adjust them yourself. Also, if your macbook gets so hot, to the point where it might damage itself, it will shut itself down. Your computer wont commit suicide. iStat is a great widget for viewing all your system info in the dashboard.

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
matt1985

matt1985 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G

is your Macbook a CoreDuo or Core 2 Duo?
i found when i upgraded my MBP form an 2.0 CD to 2.5 C2D that the temps were much lower, also interesting that the slowest fan speed it ever uses is ~2000rpm compared to ~1000rpm for the earlier model.
This is all shown through iStat, i havent installed SMCfan controller on this one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Adapter squeal?? Can someone help me? | 2gb Memory and vmware fusion/parellels »