New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - For those who upgraded your MB to 4gb of Ram..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kenbrinkman

kenbrinkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz, 4GB, 320GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGIRL34 View Post
Someone on here said that you really only use 3GB of the 4GB as far as seeing any difference that is...not sure if it's true or not.
I know previous versions of the macbook couldn't handle 4gb fully. But the new "late 2007" or Santa Rosa macbooks can utilize all 4gb. Earlier versions would display you have 4gb in the system profiler and such but if you actually added up the free and used ram in the activity monitor, you'd see that you're only using 3.3 or something. So if you add up mine, I'm pretty sure you'd get all 4.
QUOTE Thanks
built b16a

built b16a is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.

i previously posted the 1st pic on the last page.. the 2nd snapshot was after a restart.. my settings were drastically reset... 2gb now looks overkill. lol
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
I was told only to use equal sticks of ram. I only have the one stick of 2gb. Would that be ok?
You can use modules of unequal size. What you're probably referring to is matched pairs of modules (which are not only matched by size, but also by configuration - number of chips, type, etc). To get the best possible performance, matching the modules identically will allow your memory to run in "dual channel" mode.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Someone on here said that you really only use 3GB of the 4GB as far as seeing any difference that is...not sure if it's true or not.
A 32-bit OS can only address a certain amount of memory - so, if you were running one and you had 4GB installed, I think it would only actually "see" 3GB. But in Leopard that won't be a problem as it's 64-bit inside and out.

As far as noticing a difference - let me explain where the difference comes from.

It's important to understand what memory actually is. People often confuse memory with disk storage, and they are not the same thing. Memory is the space that programs are loaded into in order for the processor to process them. When a program is no longer running, the memory space is again available for loading other programs. Additionally, when a computer is rebooted, the memory is completely purged (as it is when you turn the computer off).

Disk storage is where your programs, documents and settings are permanently stored. It does not purge when you reboot.

OK, now with that out of the way, let's explain why adding memory can sometimes make a difference and sometimes not:

Back in days of old, computers had a fixed amount of memory. When you ran out of memory during an active session, you'd get an 'out of memory' error and you couldn't do anything until you shut down some programs or rebooted.

So, some genius came up with the concept of "virtual memory". Virtual memory is a space allocated on your hard disk that the computer "pretends" is real, physical memory. It's great because you never run out of memory and have to stop working or close some programs, but you have to realize that your hard disk is several orders of magnitude slower than real, physical memory. It's like the difference between going somewhere on a bicycle and flying somewhere on a plane.

This is where the performance issues come into play. If you don't have an adequate amount of physical memory, given the OS needs and the programs you routinely run, your computer will constantly be dipping into virtual memory. It will shuffle certain things in and out of VM, trying desperately to maintain optimal performance.

So, when you add memory to a machine that is using virtual memory on a regular basis, PRESTO, life gets better for your computer and it seems to operate faster. But if you add memory to a computer that already has adequate memory given what you run, you will see no difference in performance. Additionally, your computer becomes no faster than it was the day you removed it from the box, it's just that it's able to operate more efficiently, so in essence, it "feels" faster.

Does that make sense?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

I noticed the biggest difference between 2GB and 4GB when I'm running Fusion along with other programs. I also saw less beachballs and shorter beachball sessions. With 4GB, I can tell Fusion to use 2GB and still have OS X running on 2GB.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
A 32-bit OS can only address a certain amount of memory - so, if you were running one and you had 4GB installed, I think it would only actually "see" 3GB. But in Leopard that won't be a problem as it's 64-bit inside and out.

So, some genius came up with the concept of "virtual memory". Virtual memory is a space allocated on your hard disk that the computer "pretends" is real, physical memory. It's great because you never run out of memory and have to stop working or close some programs, but you have to realize that your hard disk is several orders of magnitude slower than real, physical memory. It's like the difference between going somewhere on a bicycle and flying somewhere on a plane.

This is where the performance issues come into play. If you don't have an adequate amount of physical memory, given the OS needs and the programs you routinely run, your computer will constantly be dipping into virtual memory. It will shuffle certain things in and out of VM, trying desperately to maintain optimal performance.
Leopard will not increase the limits of memory on a 32bit system. Remember leopard also has 32bit and 64bit binaries included, depending on the system it is loaded on. Alot of people think that if you have a 64bit system is it faster than a 32bit system. That is not the case. You just have access to more memory in a 64bit, which some people feel is faster.

virtual memory is just the fancy term for swap space and paging.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Leopard will not increase the limits of memory on a 32bit system. Remember leopard also has 32bit and 64bit binaries included, depending on the system it is loaded on. Alot of people think that if you have a 64bit system is it faster than a 32bit system. That is not the case. You just have access to more memory in a 64bit, which some people feel is faster.

virtual memory is just the fancy term for swap space and paging.
Absolutely correct - I should have made that more clear. In order to benefit from the 64-bit capability in Leopard, you must have 64-bit capable hardware. Older PPC machines and non-Core2Duo Intel Macs are not 64-bit capable.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Absolutely correct - I should have made that more clear. In order to benefit from the 64-bit capability in Leopard, you must have 64-bit capable hardware. Older PPC machines and non-Core2Duo Intel Macs are not 64-bit capable.
The PowerPC G5 processor is fully 64-bit.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
The PowerPC G5 processor is fully 64-bit.
Is it just the G5, or didn't some of the G4s have 64-bit capability?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

With respect to PPC, the G5 is the only 64-bit processor.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
fr0ng

fr0ng is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook 2.2ghz C2D 4gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisblaze View Post
Can tell the difference between 2gb of Ram and 4gb of Ram?
Yes. I went from 1gb to 4gb. One thing I noticed a huge performance increase in was when I ran Windows XP on VMWare...it runs as fast as it would if I booted directly to that partition. Definitely worth the $100 upgrade (not from Apple though) IMO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Track-pad button and Sleep? | Possible to hook up 2 external LCDs to MacBook Pro? »