New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - RAM overload

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ta70s

ta70s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.

hi
I know my limit is 3GB but what would happen if I put 4GB in? would it work, not read, or blow up!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You system will not see it, from my understanding.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
thinktank

thinktank is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.6 C2D 4GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 3GB 17", MBP 2.33 C2D 2GB 15"

"...3GB is a funny number for a machine with 2 RAM slots. Why not max that puppy out with two 2GB sticks - for a total of 4GB?

MacFixIt has learned that it's not a physical space limitation and that both of the new MBP's RAM slots are large enough to accommodate the bigger 2GB modules.

Although the Intel 945PM chipset can physically handle 4GB of DDR2 RAM, there is the potential for "memory overlap" when more than 3GB of RAM is installed.

A number of items that must be stored in physical RAM space, and when RAM reaches 4 GB, there is some overlap. In other words, in a 3 GB RAM configuration, there is no overlap with the memory ranges required for certain system functions. Between 3 GB and 4 GB, however, system memory attempts to occupy space that is already assigned to these functions."

Hope that helps. I have read elsewhere that you machine will actually run slower with 4GB due to the overlap issue. IIRC they said that in a sense the systems starts trying to process things twice....

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook won't power up (Locked?) | Powerbook G4 Memory Upgrade »