New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

black keyboard on powerbook?

Thread Closed

daughter_anna

sorry if i sound a so unknowledgeable, but i just HAD to ask..

i saw a couple people at school who had powerbooks with a black keyboard. why? and what model is it?
m1k

It's a Titanium PowerBook. They were the first G4 PowerBooks ever released, and they're damn sexy. Their design is what the current Aluminum PowerBooks were based on, and they were what sparked Apple's 'shiny metal' theme in it's Power___ products (PowerBook, PowerMac, etc.)

Titanium PowerBooks are also known as TiBooks. They start at 400MHz and go all the way up to 1GHz. A few years ago they were replaced with the current G4 Aluminum PowerBook 15". Before the Aluminum PB 15" was released though, the 12" and 17" were released. When the 15" was released the TiBooks were extinct.

But TiBooks are still damn amazing and they're still really good looking. I personally like the looks of the TiBook better than the current PowerBook 15" Aluminum.

This Apple History lesson was brought to you by m1k.
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I bet you get great wireless reception in a titanium notebook!

Now this is sexy.
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

pshhhh! PC! :p Butt yes i does look nice!

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Yeah but you have to use external peripherals on that from what I can tell. I'll take my PB thanks .
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsteggprez
pshhhh! PC! :p Butt yes i does look nice!
I knew that was going to happen. Someone would criticize it because its a PC. Poor reasons, very poor reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Yeah but you have to use external peripherals on that from what I can tell. I'll take my PB thanks .
You try fitting a CD drive in that thing.
gort

That's my point. I am guessing that laptops with an internal cd/dvd drive won't get much thinner (if any) than the current powerbooks. Until cd-drives become obsolete like floppies are now, I don't think I could bear using a notebook that required an external one. They're a staple! To its credit, the thickness of that laptop is incredible.
MoltenLava

I've had two Sony laptops. Sony has great design team, but their build quality is questionable. Keyboard is one of the worst in PC industry. Bundled Sony software is buggier than any production software I've ever seen. The screen is great, however. I love Sony screen. One thing about those ultra light laptop is they tend to tip over backwards, because of the weight of the screen.
daughter_anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenLava
I've had two Sony laptops. Sony has great design team, but their build quality is questionable. Keyboard is one of the worst in PC industry. Bundled Sony software is buggier than any production software I've ever seen. The screen is great, however. I love Sony screen. One thing about those ultra light laptop is they tend to tip over backwards, because of the weight of the screen.
i agree. the keyboard on my sony laptop was hideous and all the built-in software really SUCKED. but, it was a great machine though
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Sony screens are the best on VAIO laptops. And yea, that laptop is such a piece of beauty, it is unbelieveably thin :eek:
Icarus

is there only one USB port on that bad boy? Tell me I can't read or something...(I actually just looked at the pictures!)
gort

Just saw this laptop, they featured it on the screensavers. It's only 1.1 ghz, $3,000 USD, and has 20gb hard drive. Not that anyone would be surprised that the specs would be pretty poor in order to achieve such light weight (1.8lbs) and the thin profile.
Absolute Zero

Another TSS viewer!

They are currently making it smaller.
Crypto

Never in life, I'd trade my powerbook for a VAIO.
They look nice alright, but they lack one thing .... the apple
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
I knew that was going to happen. Someone would criticize it because its a PC. Poor reasons, very poor reasons.

I said it looks nice but it's just not appealing to me. It a pc and we're in a macforum.

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-

Thread Closed

« Powerbook and external display | wifi printing »