New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Should i buy a Mac Book Pro now?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

I been thinking about buying a MBP for the past 4 months and made my mind 2 months ago im just gonna do it. But i been waiting for the Keynote to come around and all the rumors about the MBP being updated. And since nutting happened yesterday i was wondering, should i just go ahead and buy it now or should i hold off on it till next month? I just hate for something new to come out next month that i could have got for the same price.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
davebradford

davebradford is on a distinguished road

i'm in the same boat as you, i've been waitin for ages now, but read this news story:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/...ome-this-week/

i was aiming for the base model, but i'm hoping a penryn processor refresh will prompt a 2.4GHZ baseline model processor, and maybe a bigger hard disk, who knows! But i'll be a fool to buy one when they're at the end of their product cycle, it just depends how bad you want it, you've waited this long, whats a difference will a month make?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Buy the machine that suits your needs when you need it. I promise that it will continue to suit your needs long after the next revision comes out.

In the land of technology, if you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Cmu93

Cmu93 is on a distinguished road

I was in the same situation... I bought one yesterday, see post in this thread:

When to buy MBP now?
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebradford View Post
i'm in the same boat as you, i've been waitin for ages now, but read this news story:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/...ome-this-week/

i was aiming for the base model, but i'm hoping a penryn processor refresh will prompt a 2.4GHZ baseline model processor, and maybe a bigger hard disk, who knows! But i'll be a fool to buy one when they're at the end of their product cycle, it just depends how bad you want it, you've waited this long, whats a difference will a month make?
Wow good stuff thanks and i wish i could go to a final cut meeting, but yea i want the 2.4ghz chip too, i been looking at the 2.2ghz model but if i can just wait and get the updated, maybe even re-designed with 256mb graphics and more hard drive maybe for the same price as the 2.2 model, plus it kinda looks like some pro apps may require a 256mb graphic card . ill wait and in the mean time buy a ps3

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
ATLienGeorgia

ATLienGeorgia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4GHZ PROCESSOR / 4GB RAM / 200GB HHD - iPhone 3G 16GB Black

I just saw this check out the bottom of the article!

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/20/...rs-and-losers/
QUOTE Thanks
davebradford

davebradford is on a distinguished road

i'd normally agree with cwa107, but sometimes it's not about the technology. It's about getting more for my money, there are rumors all over the place about a possible macbook pro update some day this tuesday, maybe in february. I've been waiting about a year now to get a macbook pro a few more weeks shouldn't make much difference
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

omg.. did i make a mistake buying mine this week? my mbp is currently on its way to me and is due to arrive on wednesday..

if i dont open it do i still have to pay the restocking fee if i send it back?

ugh.. of course right when i buy it
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
omg.. did i make a mistake buying mine this week? my mbp is currently on its way to me and is due to arrive on wednesday..

if i dont open it do i still have to pay the restocking fee if i send it back?

ugh.. of course right when i buy it
It's just a rumor. These sites are wrong far more often than they're right. Is an update coming eventually? Absolutely. The problem is that no one outside of Apple knows for sure, NO ONE... Apple is notorious for hunting down moles and keeping its secrets.

Again, you need to buy the machine that suits your needs when you buy it. It will continue to do so for many years to come.

Man, I'd hate to see what you guys do with cars. You must buy a new one every year.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
theraker007

theraker007 is an unknown at this point

well i dont NEED one until july when i start med school but id LIKE one now because as i mentioned in another thread im a professional poker player between now and july and its a lot nicer ot play relaxed on a laptop then sitting up on a desktop all day.

for my back, getting a laptop now is great.

edit: but youre right i cant worry about this. I am buying this laptop to play poker, and to be my laptop in medical school. it will do its job great. I dont need any more power than im already getting im sure. I wont be gaming on it like the laptop i bought for undergraduate.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraker007 View Post
well i dont NEED one until july when i start med school but id LIKE one now because as i mentioned in another thread im a professional poker player between now and july and its a lot nicer ot play relaxed on a laptop then sitting up on a desktop all day.

for my back, getting a laptop now is great.
Suffice it to say that a MacBook Pro in its current guise should be way overkill for playing online poker. It's a bit like bringing a grenade launcher to a knife fight.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Making unexpected noises... | wondering what 1 gig of ram is doing while nothing is running? »