New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

best speakers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

terpfan

terpfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!

I want to buy some external speakers for use with my powerbook. I like the way the apple speakers work. Will they work with the powerbook? Also any others that look like designed for mac and have a subwoofer? Basically in need of reccomendations. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

If you mean the Apple Pro Speakers (looking like two transparent balls) it's no. They have a special connector, and only the Flat panel iMacs and some of the PowerMac G4 are compatible.
The Harman Kardon SoundSticks II sound pretty good, they also have the transparent look and include a (also transparent) Subwoofer.
They are not really cheap though...
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

how about those jbl ones with the subwoofer and tiny speakers. I saw them in silver for less than 100.

I also just ordered the logitech mx700 wireless mouse. Good choice?
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

the jbl creature speakers are the ones you're talkin about. i have a pair of those and i think they're absolutely great. sound is awesome. logitech is a good mouse. i have a kensington wireless mouse only because the logitech was too expensive for me.
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

I completely agree. The creatures are the best speakers. I can't belive how big they make my 12" pbook sound!
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

I cast my vote for the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, or their 5.1's. THX certified, if that matters to you. They're pricey though, but worth every penny in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

does anyone have the silver jbl creatures? i've read some guy's opinion of the colour and he said they didn't match the powerbook at all and the silver/gray colour of the speakers was very dull and ugly.

i don't know whether to get the white or silver ones...
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

i've seen the silver ones, and they don't match the powerbook. exactly what u said...very dull color. my white ones are great, and they accent my powermac g4 very well. the white ones will look good with the powerbook. get those ones :-)
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by octohunter
I completely agree. The creatures are the best speakers. I can't belive how big they make my 12" pbook sound!
if i were you i'd just get the 2.1 system that Cambridge Soundworks has. my roommate has those JBL Speaker Creatures and the sound is at par, probably even worse, than my Cambridge Soundworks speakers. mine cost like $35 and he paid close to $100 for his. even if by some chance the JBL's do sound better, i bet they don't sound $65 worth better. here is the link for the one i have:

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...zzz&type=store

they have another 2.1 system for like $69.99, probably worth checking out.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

Cambridge Soundworks speakers look ugly, but they sound very good.

OTOH, Harman/Kardon and JBL speakers look neat, but sound horrible.

I hate the sound of my H/K soundsticks and BMW factory speakers. There's a lot of sound missing in the midrange and upper ends.

If you didn't know already, JBL is owned by Harman group. The only good thing left from Harman group is Mark Levinson and Revel.
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

the smaller stylish speakers always seem to be lacking in the midrange. if you're not satisfied with that, go with a better, albeit a bit uglier set
QUOTE Thanks
WhitE_RabbiT

My opinion, if you have the cash, go with the Studio Phile BX5's. Can't beat em.
QUOTE Thanks
terpfan

I don't care for truly mind blowing sound, just good enough. I just can't see the point in having these ugly speakers next to the gorgeous powerbook...
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Ahh, but mind blowing sound is the difference between "hearing" and "feeling."
QUOTE Thanks
fasheezy

fasheezy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan
I don't care for truly mind blowing sound, just good enough. I just can't see the point in having these ugly speakers next to the gorgeous powerbook...
well, i'm not a musician by trade, but i have been playing music my whole life so sound is important to me. i don't think "mind blowing" would be the words to use when describing the HK Soundsticks or the Cambridge Soundworks. basically, the Cambridge speakers sound better than similar class JBL or HK speakers and they cost much less. if you're more concerned with the look of it then i cast my vote for the HK Soundsticks, does anything look cooler than that? i don't think so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rotate monitor display | Are there any DVD region software free for ibook? »