New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - My Dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morty

morty is on a distinguished road

I got a MacBook Pro as a gift for Christmas. It is my only computer and something bad happened a few days after I got it. I was in my room changing from chair to bed. I was holding the computer with one hand and when I leaned over to lie on my bead, my computer slipped and fell like 13-15". I didn't know it at the time, but eventually I say a little bend on the bottom pan near the superdrive. Everything works fine so far. My parents purchased the extended protection plan. I called the apple store and they said that it might run me around 675-700 to fix my computer. I called a store locally to me, and they said they could replace the bottom pan(parts/labor) for $300. I was curious if that would cancel out the protection plan. Another thing is, I have noticed that the fans never seem to go above 2000 rpm(according to iStat widget). It's has gone up to 71 deg C, and the fans never went above 2000rpms. I know its not the program to monitor hardware, but I was just curious. What should I do in this situation; pay a lot of money for the Apple store to fix the computer, or have a little store repair my computer. This is strictly the bottom pan replacement, and a difference of 300+ dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

I would just leave it. $300 dollars would not be worth it. And if you were to get it fixed by apple, (store or send it in) that will not void you warranty/protection plan.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
morty

morty is on a distinguished road

The thing I am afraid of, is something breaking down the line. It may be caused by the drop. In which case I wouldn't be able to get the computer fixed. The protection plan doesn't apply to incidental damage. What I am thinking is just getting the computer fixed by the local store because it is cheap, and I may go there instead of the Apple store the for the remainder of my MBP life.
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Another thing is, I have noticed that the fans never seem to go above 2000 rpm(according to iStat widget). It's has gone up to 71 deg C, and the fans never went above 2000rpms. I know its not the program to monitor hardware, but I was just curious.

My fans are the same but i've not had a problem yet.
QUOTE Thanks
KamileonX

KamileonX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT

My fans don't spin above 2000 rpm until 75 C

I manually override that when the temp gets above 60 tho....

KamileonX (Lawrence)
MacBook Pro 15" (Glossy) Custom
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB OCZ DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery no longer holds charge | The MacBook Pro That Saved My Back »