New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Alien object stuck in my superdrive slot!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jbevvy1

jbevvy1 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

My 2 year old has jammed something in my superdrive slot on my Macbook Pro (2gh Core Duo - 2006 model), the usual ejecting tricks are not working and the drive sounds like it's chewing plastic (ouch!).

I'm reasonably competent at upgrading PC's but have never attempted to operate on a Mac laptop.

What do you recommend? Get a secondhand superdrive off e-bay and install it myself (is it straight forward)?

As above with a new drive?

Swallow a pill and take it to an apple certified store?

I do not have apple care.... Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

have you tried using something like a paperclip to try and fish it out??

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

take a look at ifixit they will have a guide on how to do the work then its up to you also if phone an apple store the might quote u a price on the fix
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Would have a go at doing it myself. A DL DVD burner will be much cheaper than taking it say a reseller for service and then who knows maybe the laser is damaged?

They are selling pretty reasonable on eBay and do like Pioneer as they are recognised as native.

Here is a linkl:-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-DVD-DL-sup...QQcmdZViewItem
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook2,1 What hard drive? SATA 3gb or SATA 150, or either? | Do the new Macbooks still make the CPU buzzing noise? »