New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

im soon to get an ibook, but what do I exactly get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psy111

Im soon to order the 14-inch, 1ghz or 1.25ghz (dont know yet), 60gb, 256ram (then ordering somewhere else for another 512ram), and bluetooth/airport extreme from the educational online apple store. but to the question, software wise. I know I get os x.3 panther, but what comes in panther? My school mac lab has stuff like dreamweaver demo, tony hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari, MS office, and all these other programs. Does it include appleworks, garageband, and MS office and the other stuff? or do I have to order it seperate :confused: (anyone list all apps. that will come with my ibook?)

oh, BTW post #1!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You will get Tony Hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari and all of the other iLife programs (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iPhoto).

It will have a 30 day trial of MS Office

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You will get Tony Hawk 4, deimos rising demo, appleworks, safari and all of the other iLife programs (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, Garageband, iPhoto).

It will have a 30 day trial of MS Office
I didnt get a 30 day trial of MS office :confused: :confused: :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

I didn't get Tony Hawk 4
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPhishDoors
I didn't get Tony Hawk 4
I got that
QUOTE Thanks
psy111

oh... so how much is microsoft office? epecially need it for school. (is it cheaper it get it on apple's online edu store, or to get it from a store? or can I buy with credit card online to get the real thing (you know, when starting a demo it usuallly says "pay the x dollers to get the full version", then get to download the full from wherever?)). But I do get appleworks, thats important for class

...when i used to be in the mac lab at school, deimos rising was fun to play during class, i got to level 3 like a bazzillion times during the boring lectures

I have other questions about my ibook:
1. is the extra battery worth it, especially for school?
2. should i get bluetooth, is THAT worth it? (I have a AMD winxp computer at home, maybe I should for it to communicate with each-other)
3. is the 1.2ghz ibook faster than the 1ghz 14-inch?
4. is it cheaper to get a hard drive from somewhere else? (is there an ibook 80gb hd?)
5. anything else I should know before ordering?
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

Hey! I didn't get Tony Hawk or the Office trial either! Do some machines come with different apps? I wouldn't think so...
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by octohunter
Hey! I didn't get Tony Hawk or the Office trial either! Do some machines come with different apps? I wouldn't think so...
Tony Hawk is on the ibook and I think that the office trial might be on the cd, Ill have to check though
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

I'd suggest avoiding the cost of the extra battery. Wait and see if you need it. A battery lasts longer if you regularly charge and drain it. Having a second may prevent you from doing that properly.

It's much cheaper to build your own external drive. It's also easier than you'd think. But if you are more comfortable, buy one anywhere but the apple store- it's much cheaper.

I don't feel the faster processor is worth much but when you get the faster machine you also get the airport card and a larger hard drive. That is worth the extra cost.

As far as I know Bluetooth wont work to communicate with other machines, just, just peripherals. But I'd make sure of that as the others know more about it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mojo027

Mojo027 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12", 1.33GHz G4, 1GB DDR400, 32MB Radeon 9550, 80GB HD, OSX 10.4.9

Do all macs come with iLife?
QUOTE Thanks
psy111

ok, so im not gonna get bluetooth, and if i eventually need one ill get one of those usb2.0 ones. ill get 512ram and 80gb hard drive (still nobody answered if there are 80gb notbook hd that fit the ibook), and i just went to fry's and played around with the 12" and 14" ibooks. Does the touchpad really feel skippy, or is it just the display model? the 12" seems big enough, but im gonna use a lot of garageband type stuff so im getting the 14".
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Basically you can buy any 2,5" laptop drive and put it in your iBook, BUT (!) it is not classified as a user installable part, and sounds quite difficult to do.

Also by putting one in yourself, you will void your warranty.
I'd just get the 60GB model and then if you need more space, buy an external firewire / usb2.0 harddrive.

Also if you get the superdrive, you can always save stuff on dvd's...

To communicate with your PC, just use a wireless network (if your oc has wireless lan) or a normal ethernet cable to connect the two - bluetooth would be much too slow anyway for this.

The touchpad can play up on times, especially when you're getting used to it.
But after a while, mine has "settled down" and is ok now.

So don't worry about it.

12" vs. 14"?
Well you can only get superdrive in the 14", but it is quite big.
I personally went for the 12" as I want to take my ibook to university all the time and the 14" with tons of books would be too much.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

this says everything that comes with the ibook

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tiger Release Date??? | is this a good deal? »