New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Turns itself on when plugged in.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fromasta Flex

Fromasta Flex is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Can someone tell me if there's a setting for this that I'm missing? If I plug my macbook in to charge it while it's off, immediately after plugging in the power it will turn on, even though the lid is closed. Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

so the computer is turned off (completly, not sleeping)
you plug in your power cord
and it turns on (boots up)

is that correct?

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Does a Macbook have this option checked

This may be a wild guess I'm sorry if it's barking up the wrong tree

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Mac Specs: 2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone

Thanks for your responses. NPuter, yes that is correct. Kilted, that's a really good guess but I just looked and I don't have that box checked...
QUOTE Thanks
logie74

logie74 is on a distinguished road

hey mine does the same when i try to charge the battery with it switched off it auto boots up. I have also checked the power failure icon and it is not activated any ideas or maybe warranty issue
QUOTE Thanks
Joe52684

Joe52684 is on a distinguished road

Did you try leaving the battery out and seeing if it starts up when plugging power into it?
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

mine also does this but if i leave it for 30 secs it will sleep again

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks
Fromasta Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
mine also does this but if i leave it for 30 secs it will sleep again
The problem is if I want to charge it OFF I can't, it apparently has to be sleeping, or I have to plug it in, wait for it to turn on, then turn it off again to charge it off. It doesn't make sense that the act of plugging it in turns it on!?
QUOTE Thanks
chef

chef is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem, have you gotten a fix yet?

C
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Does it turn-off if you unplug it without messing with anything? If so I would just leave it as it is, it won't hurt anything with it being in will it?

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
chef

chef is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a solution, not a compromise or a workaround. Apple didnt give me a compromise in the price, so I expect it to work, or at least to be provided with a reason.
QUOTE Thanks
ramsanine

ramsanine is on a distinguished road

I work as a tech at a middle school and we have 64 macs that have this problem. When they are left for a while without being charged and then when they start charging they all turn on. Even if they are completely off. We have already had to get plenty of the computers batteries replaced because of it. Maybe apple just wants us to buy extra batteries but i could really use a solution to this problem.

Another thing is that it only happens to the newer macbooks. We have macbooks from 2006, 2005 but those ones do not have the problem. The only ones that have the problem were the ones purchased in 2007. It could be because the 2007 ones have leopard. I don't know.
QUOTE Thanks
golfpro65

golfpro65 is on a distinguished road

Add me to the list of people it effects. In fact, I started a thread about it about a week ago.
QUOTE Thanks
sparky920

sparky920 is on a distinguished road

if you go into system properties and then system saver. click on the schedule button towards the bottom right and see if you have it scheduled to wake at a certain time. if it misses this time when it is off ac power, the next time you plug it in it will turn on because it missed its scheduled turn on.
hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
plus4db

plus4db is on a distinguished road

That's it. At long last a solution. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook sleep trouble? | Updating my MB OS »