New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Overheating

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jwhojrev

Jwhojrev is on a distinguished road

I have heard many stories about macbook's overheating. Has anyone had this problem? or do you have a fan or something?
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

I have had my MBP since last March and have no problems of overheating. The fans kick on when needed. The fans usually kick on when I am doing lots of things in photoshop/illustrator.

Sometimes when the empty space by the touch pad gets hot I just close the lid and let it sleep for a while so it can cool down.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
macbookfreak

macbookfreak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Cube, Colour Classic G3

Some early models had heat problems but later versions don't overheat.

Both MacBook and MBPros have internal thermostatically-controlled fans so cooling is automatic.

Just make sure the 'Book sits on a hard surface to allow air to circulate around and underneath, not on a soft surface like a cushion or rug, and keep the exhaust vents (at the back) unobstructed.

Yes! Yes! I admit it! I'm a MacBook Freak!
QUOTE Thanks
mikesmith2

mikesmith2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac

My fans are running at:
Left 1998 rpm
Right 2008 rpm

Never heard them running though
QUOTE Thanks
Neferatowen

Neferatowen is on a distinguished road

I have smc fan control so I can adjust the speed of the fans if I notice the temperature rising. There have been a few times I noticed it overheating a little. Once I had to just turn it off and let it sit for a while, when I turned it back on it was fine, usually I just have to adjust fan speed.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferatowen View Post
I have smc fan control so I can adjust the speed of the fans if I notice the temperature rising. There have been a few times I noticed it overheating a little. Once I had to just turn it off and let it sit for a while, when I turned it back on it was fine, usually I just have to adjust fan speed.
the computer will adjust your fans automatically... if you are doing cpu/graphic intensive tasks, you computer may get a little hot. You should not have to turn your computer off because it is 'overheating'. The macbooks/macbook pros get pretty hot, it is nothing to worry about.

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
Neferatowen

Neferatowen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
the computer will adjust your fans automatically... if you are doing cpu/graphic intensive tasks, you computer may get a little hot. You should not have to turn your computer off because it is 'overheating'. The macbooks/macbook pros get pretty hot, it is nothing to worry about.
I know they adjust automatically but I like to have a bit more control. Sometimes the computer feels really hot so I turn the fans up a bit more and it cools it down much faster.
The time I turned the computer off it seemed like it was getting dangerously overheated. It was over 70 degrees Celsius. The little green bar that tells the temp in Fan Control had turned red. I had adjusted fan settings and the temp wasn't going down so I turned it off just to be safe.
QUOTE Thanks
iLewis08

iLewis08 is an unknown at this point

I agree with all of the above, also like to say the macbook pro being aluminum is a advantage, as metal is a good conductor of heat it means that the heat is pulled away from the cpu and areas that need to be cool, if your wanting to buy a macbook pro, id say go for it you will love it,

QUOTE Thanks
fitchesbass

fitchesbass is on a distinguished road

I just bought a macbook pro a month ago, and I seem to be having the overheating problem. The bottom of the case (the battery) and the bottom casing by the LCD screen get real hot... like you can barely put your hand on it!

Any ideas? Is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
bartleby

bartleby is on a distinguished road

Bought mine on Nov 06', its fine aside from the little bump i get from the opening hatch and some heating problems from gaming (Warcraft 3, specifically DOTA). It can run up to 80 C for me, which is pretty hot, I often play two games and give it some cooldown time.

But aside from all that heat issues with MBP's should have dramatically gone down as well as other major ones. And also the lid is a little open which happens to everyone I think. Its weird and a little annoying but does not affect overall functionality.
QUOTE Thanks
cameronryan

cameronryan can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: MBP

Mine is a year and a half old and gets very hot, and by that I mean egg frying hot - I can't hold my hand underneath it.

I bought a big fan and have it right next to my MBP with the latex keyboard protectoroff when I am burning a DVD or doing something that requires a lot ofpower.

I had no idea there are fans inside the laptop-is that a fact?

I'm surprised there's room.

"Man's function is to live not exist."

Jack London
QUOTE Thanks
iLewis08

iLewis08 is an unknown at this point

Yeah there is, i think theres two fans, i was surpised as well, how they fit all that into wat it is them people at apple know there stuff lol,

Also to over people sayin that there laptop is 'overheating', and you knw this by putting your hand and feeling, thats the running temperature, for example like a car they have a running temperature and its not cold, but overheating in a car results in the engine stop working,

so if the macbook pro is 'overheating' then it will switch itself of as a precaution to stop it from destroying itself or causing danger,

QUOTE Thanks
cameronryan

cameronryan can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: MBP

^ I hope that's true.

"Man's function is to live not exist."

Jack London
QUOTE Thanks
oramr85

oramr85 is on a distinguished road

i think it be funny if you got third degree burns from overheating ad apple had yet another class action suit...hehe
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferatowen View Post
I know they adjust automatically but I like to have a bit more control. Sometimes the computer feels really hot so I turn the fans up a bit more and it cools it down much faster.
The time I turned the computer off it seemed like it was getting dangerously overheated. It was over 70 degrees Celsius. The little green bar that tells the temp in Fan Control had turned red. I had adjusted fan settings and the temp wasn't going down so I turned it off just to be safe.
70*C is fine...
mine goes over 80 if I am intensively using my computer (VMware fusion, Photoshop, games, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronryan View Post
^ I hope that's true.
that is true

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP: Line-In/Mic/Headset behavior changed during 10.4 release | Pismo power jack replacement »