New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Opinions: Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jez

Jez is on a distinguished road

Hello i wonder if you good folks would help me out with some opinions on what Mac i should get next?

I am a freelance web developer, so use mostly Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator. Being freelance i am at 2 different places throughout the week so thinking a laptop would be handy to take to both and keep all the work on it.

Now i like how small the macbook is but am concerned with the power of it? Thus looking at the macbook pro but not so keen on its size.

At home where i work part of the week, i have a MacMini (MacMini G4 1.42G 512RAM ) which is fine just alittle slow when say i have photoshop, dw and illustrator open. The rest of the week i use an iMac with 2Ghz intel core and 1Gig of Ram and find it quite quick with no problems.

So what would be best, would a macbook be quick enough or not? I used one for some work with low specs and it was slow, would a higher spec one be ok or should i really just ignore that and go straight for a Macbook pro?

Thanks for any opinions
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
At home where i work part of the week, i have a MacMini (MacMini G4 1.42G 512RAM ) which is fine just alittle slow when say i have photoshop, dw and illustrator open.
That explains the lag when you have all of those apps open.

But, if you are professional then a MacBook Pro is the machine for you.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Jez

Thanks

As money could be an issue is the basic macbook pro pretty decent and quick for what i have described?
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

well a macbook is ok for most of that work i have just finished a course using all of them programs and a macbook did me fine but i have just gone for an upgrade to a macbook pro and i must say its doing well but i went for a 2.4 as i dont think the 2.2 is woth it with the worse gfx card and slower cpu u dont save that much for what you miss out on.

but if you go for a macbook get your self 4gb of ram and it will do a good job if you can afford it go for a pro
QUOTE Thanks
2Hit6

2Hit6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2

I guess it boils down to what you're planning to do with it...

For me: I've had numerous laptop/notebooks and my current MB is my first Mac-anything. I went straight for the MB because I wanted portability (my first ever laptop was powerful but a huge monster and more like a desktop replacement than a laptop), so size was a huge factor for me. Plus I don't use it for games (I have my PC for that), and mostly I just do web design an stuff on the MB so I didn't need a really powerful graphics processor.

But whether you decide on a MB or MBP, I definitely recommend 4GB of ram. I find myself using 1.5+ GB on a regular basis so having 4GB around really helps -- plus, memory prices are relatively cheap these days.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hit6 View Post
plus, memory prices are relatively cheap these days.
just make sure you don't buy extra ram from apple
$1,000 for 4gb

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

I do the same kind of work as you. I have a MB, bought new 12 months ago, the first Apple anything I've ever had. I would get the MBP if you have the money. If not the MB works just fine. My biggest whine is wanting a little more screen real estate when all those apps are open. You know how they all have a bunch of palettes and stuffs on the sides... I like the fact that my MB is smaller. B/c it's plenty heavy! I carry it everywhere and I'm not looking for more weight. Especially since I usually have a diaper bag and two toddlers in tow as well, lol.

My MB has 80g HD and I just up graded to 2g of RAM from 1g. It worked ok with the 1g but was a bit laggy.

There are lots of threads on this, so do a search and see what other people have already posted.

HTH,

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
Jez

Thanks guys.

As i said i am basically using it for web stuff.

For example i might be coding a website in DW then, switch to Illustrator to change colours on a banner or onto photoshop to add some effects to that banner etc etc.

I'm not really upto speed on the whole ram things apart from it makes it quicker having more programs open is that right? What does the processor do then, just keep it all running?

Anyone know of any reliable online suppliers in the UK that do decent ram already in a mac notebook, i wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

This is where i got my ram.
QUOTE Thanks
recon731

recon731 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB

The base MBP (the 2.2 C2D) runs amazingly well. I was dreading the fact that I didn't get a more sup'd up version (saved money to build a gaming pc). I couldn't be worried at all, no hang ups, no downtime, I am completely satisfied.
QUOTE Thanks
Jez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arekisu View Post
http://www.overclockers.co.uk

This is where i got my ram.
Thanks for that.

Is this the same as Apples 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB?

Surely not? One is 80 and apple charge 450. There must be a difference, i know they fit it for you and i wouldnt have a clue how to do it but thats a stupid jump.

Or have i read it wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Thanks for that.

Is this the same as Apples 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB?

Surely not? One is 80 and apple charge 450. There must be a difference, i know they fit it for you and i wouldnt have a clue how to do it but thats a stupid jump.

Or have i read it wrong?
I believe Apple use Samsung ram, but that's no justification for the price difference.

The prices have come down quite a bit, my 2Gb dual channel ram for my Macbook was around 74 with postage.

I've come to the conclusion that you should never get upgrades from Apple, the ram and hdd are easily upgradable for much less elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Jez

I dont know what to do now.

Some say a Macbook high end with 4gig Ram would be ok.

Others say only a Macbook Pro low end would do..

Can anyone install ram, i wouldnt know where to start?
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

ram on the pro is very easy i recommend play.com as i just got 2x2gb sicks from there for 55 very cheap and it was kingston as well so good ram.

Ram from play

How to install

apple over charge a lot for there ram never getting from them also i did a hard drive upgrade on my pro to a 250gb this was a drive i got from ebay and saved a lot by not getting it from apple. also have the older parts to sell on as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Jez

So for example i order 2 lots of ram from Play follow them instructions slot the 2 new ram slots into it and the pro automatically pics up that it has extra ram and runs quicker?

This might seem daft but i really dont have a clue, you dont need to run an installation with the computer actually on or anything like that.

Thats 60quid for 4gig or ram from Play, Apple charge 450quid! Surely thats wrong, they are adding 390quid onto it!!!!???
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAc book Pro Will not Eject Disk Help!!! | Hard disk upgrade »