New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Old "toothpaste scratch remover trick."

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pollyolly100

pollyolly100 is on a distinguished road

So.. My friend told me that putting toothpaste on my Macbook would remove the scratches...apparently not It wasted 15 minutes of my life that I will never get back, and probably a week's supply of toothpaste! LOL...I was just asking are there any good "home remedies" to remove scratches? I know about the Brasso trick, but I think that it only works for scratched up CDs and DVDs..and the Macbook has a plastic surface. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE OUT! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
QUOTE Thanks
Henvan20

Henvan20 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2x 2.4GHz MBP. 1x old school Mac Mini.

Haha nice one.

Last time I checked CD's was definately not made of metal... maybe its just me
QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

Whoops I had a brain fart... I just thought that Brasso could only be used on CDs and DVDs... LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Matrix

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Brasso has very fine grit in it that's meant to gently polish metal. When applied to plastic, that grit can be very effective in removing scratches. Note that it won't restore "optical clarity" to a plastic surface - in other words it won't restore a perfect mirror finish, but it will even out most imperfections.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Toothpaste is an extremely mild abrasive...it might help to remove hairline scratches, but not serious scratches.

And you'd only use as much as you'd use brushing your teeth...more wouldn't help.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Toothpaste is an extremely mild abrasive...it might help to remove hairline scratches, but not serious scratches.

And you'd only use as much as you'd use brushing your teeth...more wouldn't help.
That's why it's not working on the serious scratches for you... You're supposed to use 1/2 a tube for every 4 square inches you are working on.

QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

Half a tube for every 4 inches?! NO WAY! I'm gonna go use Brasso
QUOTE Thanks
pollyolly100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Brasso has very fine grit in it that's meant to gently polish metal. When applied to plastic, that grit can be very effective in removing scratches. Note that it won't restore "optical clarity" to a plastic surface - in other words it won't restore a perfect mirror finish, but it will even out most imperfections.
Wow thanks for the tip... Now can you please tell me where I can get Brasso? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Brasso really does work well. However, don't confuse plastic and glass! Brasso has enough grit in it to ruin a glass surface!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Mr Clean eraser ive heard good things about. but it doesnt remove the scratch, just hides it.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
That's why it's not working on the serious scratches for you... You're supposed to use 1/2 a tube for every 4 square inches you are working on.
ha ha nice one, Rone
you could just make a mold of your case, then make a new one from silicone.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
Mr Clean eraser ive heard good things about. but it doesnt remove the scratch, just hides it.
Mr Clean Magic Eraser is a mild abrasive and should remove the scratch as well as Brasso would. It doesn't just hide a scratch (how could it?)
QUOTE Thanks
Matrix

Matrix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyolly100 View Post
Wow thanks for the tip... Now can you please tell me where I can get Brasso? LOL
Most food stores, Walmart, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
prettyinpunk

prettyinpunk is on a distinguished road

Would brasso work on the front of my ipod nano (1st gen) as it looks like its been dragged behind a newly weds car?... I was thinking of buying a new one but if I can buff up my old one, why not, it does the job!

What exactly would i do with the stuff? (I don't want to make the problem worse... though from the current cosmetic damage i dont think it's possible)

Cheers!

(p.s off subject, i am writing this from my brand spanking new macbook... i love the smell of a new mac at work)
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

what have you got to lose? I wouldn't try it on my iPod, but search "brasso glass" on Google and read a couple articles. it might be worth it to you...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Surprise, surprise...iBook won't boot/turn on... | no key board? »