New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Clamshell memory compatibility question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jptl

jptl is on a distinguished road

I bought a 512 PC133 stick for my 466Mhz SE Clamshell, after being assured that it would work.
It doesn't seem to work. At startup, I get a little folder icon with an apple in the middle, then a question mark. Never the larger Apple icon.
I'm assuming that the OS can't configure to the new memory.
Is there any way to set this up to take this memory, or is it simply incompatible?
If it's incompatible, am I limited to PC100, or is it that I'm over reaching by going for 512?
TIA.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You need PC66 RAM not PC133. There wasn't an iBook that uses PC133 RAM.
I would suspect someone said it was backwards compatible. Most RAM is backwards compatible, just not on Macs. I've seen a lot of issues with backwards compatibility with Macs and RAM.

The folder icon with the question mark usually means there is no OS installed. If you uninstall the new RAM, does everything work properly?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
jptl

jptl is on a distinguished road

Yep. I go back to the original 256 ram and it boots up fine. Go back to the 512 & I get the little 'no go' folder.
I guess you can't expect better-than-cheap support for cheap ram.
Thanks for the quick answer (the truth hurts sometimes).
Now that I have this ram that's of no use to me, who can use it?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptl View Post
Yep. I go back to the original 256 ram and it boots up fine. Go back to the 512 & I get the little 'no go' folder.
I guess you can't expect better-than-cheap support for cheap ram.
Thanks for the quick answer (the truth hurts sometimes).
Now that I have this ram that's of no use to me, who can use it?
Define cheap RAM? (brand & price) I don't care for the brand debate. I've used many brands and haven't had a problem ever. Apple uses Hynix RAM in their current models. It's probably not on most people's lists of great RAM manufacturers.

Sell it on eBay and get what you need.

I got started messing with old G3 PowerBooks and Clamshells. PM me if you ever have a quick question. I no longer own a laptop so I rarely post in the Apple Notebook threads.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro with HDTV | Cool MacBook Pro Memory Upgrade Video »