Thread: Education???

Gamer
    Question Education???
    I live in Canada and am looking for a new iBook I am in grade 11 (highschool) how do I get a eductional discount outside of university?

pitythefool
    I don't know about Canada, but I think the short answer is, generally, you don't. Other than ask a friend in higher education to buy it for you

octohunter
    I live in Boston and I am a PhD student at U.Glasgow in Scotland. Apple would not grant me the educational discount due to the fact my academic institution is not in the states.
    I also don't believe the discount is really that much. There is really no way around it- Macs are hugely expensive. Just remember, your Mac will last longer than the next 3 PCs you buy. A PC is outdated in about 6 months and a Mac just seems to keep chugging along for years. The new G5 imac seems a great value and I can't see it being dated any time soon, especially for student use.

Good luck!

pitythefool
    The discount is quite good - I saved around 10% - that's 20 off an iPod and 70 off an iBook. Add to that the Cram & Jam deal (another 130), and you're looking at a 'free' iPod...

Octohunter - surely you can purchase from the UK Education store if you're at uni in Scotland?

octohunter
    Thanks for the advice but I think with the conversion rate it would actually end up costing me more. 1 GBP to about .6 USD. Everything I buy in the UK is bloody expensive to me. A cup of tea is about 4.50 USD and a GBP spends just like a dollar (most prices listed are equal, just different currencies.)

tariq
    octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance

Gamer
    Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance
    Thanks, but Apple's last twice as long without slower profomence

tariq
    so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome

VastDeathmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome
    [Tangent!]

I don't think it is a question of speed, but a question of usability.
    A PC user is more likely to replace their 500mhz laptop with a 3ghz one rather than keep using the former.

While a Mac user seems more likely to keep using the G3 400 rather than upgrade to the G4 1.2ghz

[/Tangent!]

tariq
    hehe i knew someone would bring that point up
    thats true, and i fully agree with it

Thread Information