New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Education???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gamer

I live in Canada and am looking for a new iBook I am in grade 11 (highschool) how do I get a eductional discount outside of university?
QUOTE Thanks
pitythefool

I don't know about Canada, but I think the short answer is, generally, you don't. Other than ask a friend in higher education to buy it for you
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

I live in Boston and I am a PhD student at U.Glasgow in Scotland. Apple would not grant me the educational discount due to the fact my academic institution is not in the states.
I also don't believe the discount is really that much. There is really no way around it- Macs are hugely expensive. Just remember, your Mac will last longer than the next 3 PCs you buy. A PC is outdated in about 6 months and a Mac just seems to keep chugging along for years. The new G5 imac seems a great value and I can't see it being dated any time soon, especially for student use.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
pitythefool

The discount is quite good - I saved around 10% - that's 20 off an iPod and 70 off an iBook. Add to that the Cram & Jam deal (another 130), and you're looking at a 'free' iPod...

Octohunter - surely you can purchase from the UK Education store if you're at uni in Scotland?
QUOTE Thanks
octohunter

Thanks for the advice but I think with the conversion rate it would actually end up costing me more. 1 GBP to about .6 USD. Everything I buy in the UK is bloody expensive to me. A cup of tea is about 4.50 USD and a GBP spends just like a dollar (most prices listed are equal, just different currencies.)
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance
QUOTE Thanks
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq
octo i dont know what PC's you're buying, but for the same price as you would pay for an apple desktop, you can get a great PC that will last at least 3-4 years, and even longer if you don't mind slower performance
Thanks, but Apple's last twice as long without slower profomence
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq
so you're saying a 400mhz G3 which is only 5 years old (as opposed to "twice as long", around 8-10 years?) is not slow by today's standards?

you're welcome
[Tangent!]

I don't think it is a question of speed, but a question of usability.
A PC user is more likely to replace their 500mhz laptop with a 3ghz one rather than keep using the former.

While a Mac user seems more likely to keep using the G3 400 rather than upgrade to the G4 1.2ghz

[/Tangent!]
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

hehe i knew someone would bring that point up
thats true, and i fully agree with it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Store Questions. | In need of new HD for clamshell ibook!!! »