New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

water spill on ibook...eeeek

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kelseyq

okay, last night, i somehow managed to upset part of my bookshelf and rain down 12-13 heavy books on top of my open and turned on ibook...as well as knock a glass of water into the keyboard. i immediately turned the computer off and flipped it over, hoping the water would drain out.

this morning, my roommate turned it on and it immediately froze, and when i tried to reboot the screen went dead. i called mac support and tried a number of reboots, and eventually got it to flash the sadface/question mark thing. upon booting it from the install disk, the computer couldn't recognize the hard drive (disk utility listed only the inserted cd.) i was bummed and expected a fried hard drive...but, to my supreme excitement, after letting it drain in the upside down and open position for a few hours, i got it to boot up normally. the computer operated fine for about an hour, then froze completely and refused to reboot (exactly as before). i'm typing on it now, after it spent a few more hours in the drying position.

i know absolutely nothing about computer hardware, but it seems like this behavior would indicate some sort of loose connection or a connection problem rather than a fried hard drive. my question is...is there anything i could do to fix this myself, rather than take it into the apple store and pay out the nose? i don't even know how to pop it open (remove the keyboard.) advice?

--kelsey
QUOTE Thanks
prophet

now that just plain sucks...

you have my sympathies, but I doubt I could help you any.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well I think to open it up, you'll nees special tools...

To open the keyboard, turn the screw / num pad light until it's straight and then pull down the 2 little clips at the top sides of the keyboard and carefully pull up.

That's all I know

But I'd try letting it dry like 48 hours and see if the problem just goes away...
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

Many times, when someone spills water onto a laptop the rule is to let it completely dry out. That may take several days instead of just one.

I've taken my ibook completely apart, (was thinking of changing the case color, but didn't) and it requires a set of Jewelers screwdrivers (philips) and torx wrenches, though I don't recall exactly which ones.

Taking the machine apart is a tedious process so it isn't recommended.

It sounds like the books did more damage than just the water.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12" pBook screen | Apple Store Questions. »