New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Mac noob rant alert.....56 steps to replace a HDD in a ibook ??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iPimp

iPimp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" G4 iBook - 1.33 - 1GB - 80GB - combo drive

Seriously what is that about,can they make it any harder ...

I have never spent more than 10 min replacing a non mac laptop in my life.

I have my first mac coming a G4 / 1.33 ibook and wanted to upgrade the 80GB until I saw what it takes to do so......

Is apple that greedy that they design in this manner where most consumers cannot do a simple upgrade ?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to proper forum - Not just anything goes in Anything Goes*
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

yes, i'm sure apple designed it that way because they are greedy.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

They do it just to annoy customers. Honestly dude, how does the design of an iBook make them greedy?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Changing the Hard Drive in the iBook is sort of a complex process. It took me maybe 1/2 hour but I was being very careful and took my time.

The MacBooks are the easiest of the Mac Laptops to replace the Hard Drive. Just remove the battery and one metal plate.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Designs change, technology improves. Apple has nearly always made replacing and adding things like ram and hard drives very easy. The iBooks were an exception, but a hard drive on a MacBook can be replaced in less than five minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The iBook case was specifically designed to minimize shock to the HD. Thus all the shields and such..

Newer Macs have sudden motion sensors, and the HDs are not bundled in so tightly.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

where is this 56 step process you talk about?? i am sure it is just way too detailed in order to protect themselves from customers messing it up and them having to pay for it. it shouldnt be that hard.

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Joe52684

Joe52684 is on a distinguished road

It's not all that bad to do it. I've done like millions of HD changes in them so I'm probably just used to it. You gotta be careful of the power cable though, very flimsy
QUOTE Thanks
comtois

comtois is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz, eMac 800Mhz, iPod (3G) 15Gig

just changed mine, and it sucked, but it is definitely doable. the toughest part for me was separating the plastic on the bottom without breaking anything, but if you look at a diagram and know where the clips are it's a bit easier. also i should note that this is my first mac, just got it a couple weeks ago, and have never taken one apart before this one.

if you think the iBook is tough, you should take apart an eMac. I did that shortly after the iBook and it was AWFUL.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe52684

Joe52684 is on a distinguished road

Oh god, i hate taking apart eMacs, its terrible! Getting that little power cable back in is the worst. and those screws around the case are like butter screws. The newer eMacs are a little better but still a pain.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookfreak

macbookfreak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Cube, Colour Classic G3

Yes, the iBook's a real pain - all those shields and different-sized screws...

There's a good guide to replacing iBook parts at ifixit.com with plenty of info and good clear photos. Plus their downloadable pdfs have a screw guide which tells you what goes where. Very useful if you've got some screws left over.

Just take it slowly and keep track of the screws - ice-cube trays work well, or tape 'em to a sheet of paper and draw yourself a 'map'.

Good luck!

Yes! Yes! I admit it! I'm a MacBook Freak!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bloody CUTLERY IS FLUNG RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES | Not reading external HD???HELP »