New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Advice on upgrading my hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Verted

Verted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM

At the moment I have the original Hard Drive that came with my macbook, but i've only got like 9gb left, and I want to upgrade to Leopard. So I've bought a new hard drive which I plan to install soon. I've also got an external enclosure so I can access my current files when the new one is installed.

Once I've installed OSX on the new hard drive, will it be simple to transfer over my files? Like will it be just as though I've plugged in a flash drive or something, and then I can copy the files straight over? Also, what about my software and stuff? E.g. iWork. Can I copy iWork straight over, and it will work on the new hard drive just as it did before, or will I have to install it again and re-enter my serial number? I also have lots of plugins and stuff installed, so will I have to get all of those again, since it will be a fresh install?

Once I've copied everything I need over, I will then upgrade it to Leopard. Just wondering if theres any reason why it might be better to start off with installing leopard on the new hard drive rather than installing Tiger and then upgrading.

--
Thanks,
- Verted

http://verted.net
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

If you have the full version of Leopard and not an upgrade DVD i would just do a Leopard install instead of installing Tiger and then upgrading to Leopard this will minimize the chances of something going wrong.
It will be simple to transfer your data over for example music and videos etc. You may need to reinstall your software again. As for the plug-ins check the programs folder and there may be a plug-in folder so you can copy then over then add them after you do the reinstall. You will be able to activate your software using your serial however some vendors require you to phone up when reactivating software.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
emarti

emarti is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB HDD, 2 GB ram, Leopard

I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz that has the orignial Fujitsu 100GB hard drive. I would like to replace it with the largest harde drive I can. I have found a Western Digital Scorpio 250 GB notebook hard drive (model # WD2500BEVS), but the Western Digital website says that its SATA (as opposed to EIDE) version is not compatible with OSX. I'm confused, since the existing Fujitsu drive is SATA. Any advice would be appreciated that could clarify this for me, or suggest a specific large hard drive that would be compatible. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

I plan to use Migration Assistant to copy my existing stuff over to the new hard drive I intend to install this weekend. Shouldn't that work?

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

MACs use SATA drives as a standard I guess. I recently replaced my MB hard drive. The orginal one was Hitachi so I thought I will buy the new one also Hitachi. But to my surprise, the Hitachi disk was available without any warrenty where as Buffalo (Samsung) was available with 1 year warrenty. So I have replaced it with the Samsung disk. So far running smooth. You can go for any SATA drive. But just check the size. MB needs 2.5 SATA drive. Not sure about MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
centurian1

centurian1 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered cloning your drive with either carbon copy cloner or superduper to your existing external drive? Replace your existing hard with your new drive, reboot to your external drive, and use your cloning software to copy to the newly installed drive? Reboot your Macbook and upgrade Tiger to Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarti View Post
I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz that has the orignial Fujitsu 100GB hard drive. I would like to replace it with the largest harde drive I can. I have found a Western Digital Scorpio 250 GB notebook hard drive (model # WD2500BEVS), but the Western Digital website says that its SATA (as opposed to EIDE) version is not compatible with OSX. I'm confused, since the existing Fujitsu drive is SATA. Any advice would be appreciated that could clarify this for me, or suggest a specific large hard drive that would be compatible. Thanks.

you want a SATA drive, dont listen to what sites say about OS comp! you format it anyways.

PS. theres:
320!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136197

OMG

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Hope for Chaos

Hope for Chaos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm

Sorry to just drop in but I'm curious about using the backup/restore cd that comes with leopard preinstalled. I'm looking into a refurbished MBP because its the cheapest 15" available and I'm noticing how cheap it is to just upgrade the parts on your own than through Apple. Would I be able to swap out the stock hard drive and use the restore disk that comes with it to install the new hard drive? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hope, the simple answer to your question is: yes.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
riscy

riscy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP

When I upgraded my HD recently I was not aware of all this and so I got a Western Digital SATA (seems to be the Mac standard) 2.5" HD and installed that with no problems - the guy in the Mac shop advised me not to go under 200GB, not sure why.

I suggest you install Tiger then upgrade (not what I did!) as if you install Leopard, you do not get Garageband, IDVD etc and all the stuff which is available on the iLife disk. I installed Leopard on its own and no longer have GarageBand etc as my original copy of the OS disk is corrupt and does not install.

Hope I am not too late with this advice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Serious Problem with macbook | Champagne disaster »