New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

how to uninstall software in mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac*

does mac have something can uninstall software?
i just installesd the Xcode, but i can not find the way to uninstall it, help please.
QUOTE Thanks
aurora

So far, all I do is 2 delete the software or program from the Applications folder. Don't think there's a software uninstall program.... Or is there? Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Nope...Remember people this isn't Windows....You simply drag the app to trash, and empty...and that's it
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Although there is talk for an OS uninstall program.. or rollback program.. which would be nice for those that update and have problems with the update.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Use Allume Systems Spring Cleaning.

I have never used it, but I hear it does the job.

EDIT: I thought it was free, but I guess it's not.
QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

der_kitty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation

see, this kinda confuses me. As an exPC user, it is almost unbelievable. i mean i like the software a LOT better than PC, but still, how does JUST dragging it to the trash uninstall it?

and i have heard from computer savvy friends that the uninstaller products you buy is just junk dont even bother.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

OSX does not use .DLL files, has no Registry unlike Windows. Most OSX files are self contained. Just right click on an application and then on Show Package Contents and you will see all the files that make the application run are in the application itself. Only thing that would be left behind by dragging the app to the trash is a few small configuration files. If those would bother you (in most cases there is maybe one small file) you can use a program like App Zapper or AppDelete and it will kill off even those configuration files.

Dragging the app to the trash though is really all that is needed with most proper OSX apps.

There is also this which is totally free.

AppCleaner
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can drag most apps to the trash as a means of uninstalling it. That said, if an app comes with an uninstaller, use that. The uninstaller is included for a reason.

AppCleaner as recommend by dtravis7 is fantastic. If you go into the Preferences for AppCleaner, you can enable SmartDelete. SmartDelete lets you use AppCleaner without actually running the main application - you drag your files to the trash and a little AppCleaner window pops up asking if you would like to delete any associated files. This saves you from having to open the program each time you want to delete something.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

On a Mac everything that the Application needs to run is Bundled inside the app.

If you Open your Applications folder, and double click on an app, the app launches just like it does on a windows machine, but if you Right click on the app you can select "Show Package Contents", This will let you see all the files that are needed to launch the App. No need for a "Registry" as all information is kept within the package. With the App being a Package like this you can typically move it, copy it or trash it without worrying about a Corrupted Registry or a bunch of other files all over you Mac. No real need for a Special App to chase down a bunch of files for you.
You may find a small file in the Library/Preferences directory that the app used to store Preferences in and these are typically very small 4 kb files and I see no need to run an app like (AppZapper = 3.9 MB or AppCleaner = 6.7 MB) to delete a 4 kb text file. Every few months I go to Users/user name/Library/Preferences and delete the .plist files I know I don't use anymore. Since I don't have to spend as much time on maintenance as I did on Windows machine , this makes me feel like I have done something important on my Mac. LOL

Most of the Apps that put files elsewhere on your Mac will come with it's own uninstaller to do the chasing down for you.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

AppCleaner - Job done.
QUOTE Thanks
mikedee2

mikedee2 is on a distinguished road

The situation I have is that I installed the software, it did not work. When I went to look for it under applications I could not find it. I did search and could not find it. When I tried to install it again it tells me it was installed successfully. Help. I knew it is going to take some time getting used to the switch.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. You are responding to a thread from two years ago (that actually started up SEVEN years ago!).

2. You expect some help when you haven't told us the name of the software, the version of OS X, the machine you're using or ANYTHING actually useful for us to help you? Seriously??

My advice would be to start a new thread and include some details. You'll find some friendly helpful folks here, but the psychic hotline we aren't.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

I'm still learning Mac, but here are my draft notes from the thread at this link:

For apps downloaded from the web:
Installing and uninstalling applications

Installation:

Open dmg file. Mounts a drive. Either:
1. Drag and drop the icon to Applications from the open dmg window. Eject the mounted dmg file or drag it to trash. Most work this way.
2. Some apps like Office use a custom Installer. Open the dmg file, but inside find a pkg file. Double click on it to install the app. Then before ejecting this type of dmg, note carefully how that app will deal with uninstallation in future.

Uninstallation:

1. Drag and drop apps: Drop the app's icon to the trash.
2. Apps with their own custom installer: will need to find and use their uninstaller. If the app created a folder for itself during installation, you might find it there.
3. Some apps install themselves as Preferences in OSX, like Perian (a good app for video playback). Open its preference pane in Apple Preferences and uninstall from there.
4. Some apps put an uninstall pkg in the dmg file. Drag that to a place where it will be available in future if you need to uninstall the app.
5. Some apps have a custom uninstall routine that will need to be looked for with Google.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

MacKeeper has a terrible reputation. Regardless of that, you don't need an application to uninstall others.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
proscene

proscene is on a distinguished road

Download App Cleaner
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro hard drive problems | PowerBook and DVD/Leopard issues »