New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - ibook wont start up and cannot reboot HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

siobhanthegreat

siobhanthegreat is on a distinguished road

Hello
Right the problem is that my ibook (g4 mac OSX 10.4) will not start, when I turn it on, it simply shows the apple loading screen, then shows the blue "Starting MAC OSX" screen with the blue progress bar and when the progress bar fills it just stays on that screen for hours! I want to try and restart it by using the start up discs BUT i can't seem to push the disc in - so there must aleady be a cd/dvd in the drive. I have tried pressing eject to no avail....does anyone know of any other way to get the disc out as there is no way I can get the start up discs in otherwise?
Or does anyone know of another way to fix this?
Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
iMacKid500

iMacKid500 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod

Welcome to the Forums!

Try reseting your PRAM.
To do this: Press "P" & "R" + Power Button

Then if that doesn't work, get a paper clip and undo it. With the tip, put it into the disc drive and slide it across til' it hits another (inside) and press in. Reminder: don't push "too hard" there are other components of the disc drive you can mess up by pressing to hard on the wrong thing. This should release the disc in the drive.

If you need more help, PM me...

Good LUCK!
iBook/iMacKid500

iBook/iMacKid500
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Another way to eject a CDROM/DVD is to reboot your system and then press and hold the trackpad button (or press the mouse button). That should eject the media in the drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you tried starting up in safe mode (press S on start-up)

if not start up in firmware

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh1750.html
QUOTE Thanks
siobhanthegreat

Thankyou everyone! I managed to get the cd out by pressing the track button! cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
siobhanthegreat

I have managed to get the disc in my drive out now (re my last post) but I still have the problem that my ibook (g4 mac OSX 10.4) will not start, when I turn it on, it simply shows the apple loading screen, then shows the blue "Starting MAC OSX" screen with the blue progress bar and when the progress bar fills it just stays on that screen for hours!

I don't have the original restart cd but I do have the cds from dads imac which is pretty new and has operating system MAC OS X 10.4...should this work? I have tried putting it in...and nothing happens i just get the progress bar again and it never goes beyond.

Is there anything I should be pressing? Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Nope, won't work. Your Dad's iMac install disks will only work on the same model iMac. You need the black OS X 10.4 install CDs.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Common threads merged.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanthegreat View Post
Is there anything I should be pressing? Thank you!
Hold down V for Verbose mode and you will see a system log scroll the screen as it boots up. Pay attention to where it hangs and report back here with the results.

My problem was similar on my G4 PB 1.33 - turned out to be a failing hard drive - odd at 3 years old or so... I bought a 100GB from Frye's and "carefully" installed it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Damaged memory? | Graphics Card Update »