New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

UPdate problem!!1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac*

i just downloaded the update for panther,form apple web site, but when i install it after the agreement, it let me to chose the volume, but the only icon i got is the HD, and it labels with a ! sign, shows: this volume does not meet the requirement for update, so what happend?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here is a couple of questions. You are at least running OS X 10.3 and not OS X 10.2?

You do have enough space for the upgrade?

And just to be sure you did repair permission be you tried to do the upgrade? This may not resolve you problem in your case, but you should repair permission before and after a upgrade.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

yes, i am running 10.3 which i just brought week ago.
And i have plenty space for upgrating, the HD is left with 17G

i can not catch your last part,And i think that would be the source of problem, can you explain to me how to do that.Should i login as root or admin, if i do, how can i login as root, as i am really new to mac, i think step by step is better :p
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

by the way , i put the download file on the desktop.

do you think i should put the download file into system diretory, or something????

Guys, please give me some helps. :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac*
by the way , i put the download file on the desktop.

do you think i should put the download file into system diretory, or something????

Guys, please give me some helps. :confused:
I would just use Software Update when trying to update the OS.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Down load and use Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 to update your system. Using the combo update tends to resolve most problems.

As for repair permissions, go to your application folder -> utilities folder, and run the disk utitily application. When the application comes up select your system disk, then near the bottom select repair permissions.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

what is repair permission do?
should i just use the software update instead?
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

i downloaded the file form http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/, lables Mac OS X update 10.3.5 with 43MB.
please tell me why it would comes up with "The volume does not meet the requirement for updating?" after some steps of install?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Maybe you do not have the correct permissions for the update, maybe mac os x.3.5 is already installed on there?

Maybe it doesn't support s.m.a.r.t. technology (check the bottom box in disk utilities to see if it does - not that I would know if apple now requires smart though..)

Maybe it's on holiday...
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Maybe you do not have the correct permissions for the update, maybe mac os x.3.5 is already installed on there?

Maybe it doesn't support s.m.a.r.t. technology (check the bottom box in disk utilities to see if it does - not that I would know if apple now requires smart though..)

Maybe it's on holiday...
the version of panther of my computer is 10.3.3,and i just can not find the place where you told me too check the S.M.A.R.T function.
Or should i just use the software update ?
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

i have check the disk utility, and i think all the thing is ok, the permission is enable, but i just can not find the smart function :confused:maybe i am not smart enough to get that smart
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

To clarify: S.m.a.r.t. basically just checks to see if a disk is going to fail or not. If it is, smart will tell you in time, so you can back-up your files and replace the drive.

Now I was just thinking that maybe mac osx is clever enough to check a disk's smart status before it installs itself there...

Click on the physical drive (not the volume, i.e. the formatted area below it in the drive listing) and right at the bottom of the DU window it might say s.m.a.r.t. status: normal, or something like that. If it says smart status: critical, then that's your problem. If it doesn't say anything - then your drive can't check itself for faults, and then that's not the problem...

Sorry for any confusion, but i suppose it beats the "have you repaired permissions and run crons" answer you normally get on mac boards
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
To clarify: S.m.a.r.t. basically just checks to see if a disk is going to fail or not. If it is, smart will tell you in time, so you can back-up your files and replace the drive.

i went to the utilities/disk utility and there are two drivers on the left hand side,one is Macintosh HD, and another is lable as 27.9GB FUJITSU and i click the FUJITSU driver, at the right bottom, there is a SMART status, it shows VERIFIED.
thus is that consider as my hard disk problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac*
i downloaded the file form http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/, lables Mac OS X update 10.3.5 with 43MB.
please tell me why it would comes up with "The volume does not meet the requirement for updating?" after some steps of install?
I think the problem is that you downloaded an update that requires 10.3.4. Download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 which should be 88 MB in size.

In the future, I would really suggest using Software Update for things like this, because it will ensure that your system meets all of the requirements before it displays the OS X update.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I think the problem is that you downloaded an update that requires 10.3.4. Download the Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.5 which should be 88 MB in size.

In the future, I would really suggest using Software Update for things like this, because it will ensure that your system meets all of the requirements before it displays the OS X update.
yes, i think so, thank all of you :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth | adding airport extreme to ibook »