New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Hard Drive Failure

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jkobylt

jkobylt is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone!

I have the most peculiar problem at hand. My Macbook Pro (beginning of 2006), has a hard drive failure, or so I'm told by the Mac people. But here's the catch: My hard drive is partitioned into two, with one partition containing Windows and the other Mac OSX.

I am writing this email from my Windows side. I use boot camp to switch in between. So here's my question:

- How can I operate Windows on a broken hard drive?

It seems to me like this is a common problem, these hard drive failures. In fact, I'm starting to believe that Macbooks are programmed to do this at random times so we can pay out to get them fixed.

I have been troubleshooting and it says that my hard drive is not mounted. How can it not be mounted if Windows is working? Shouldn't the whole computer be inaccessible?

I don't have a warranty, don't have much money right now, and this computer is one problem after another. Both my fans are dead, my DVD burner doesn't burn, and my pixels are dying. Is this what you get for $3,500? What a waste.

What should I do? What is the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

When you boot using the OS X CD then go to Disk Utility do you see the hard drive there?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You hard drive is not dead. You may have a corrupted file system on the OS X side. Do as mynameis suggested and see if you can run a disk repair.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
jkobylt

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I tried to reinstall Mac OS X and discovered the disk utility. Inside of disk utility, it shows both my hard drives but my Mac drive is dimmed. When I click on it to get more info, it tells me that the drive is not mounted.

I then continued to do a checksum scan that took forever and did nothing. Next, I tried to verify the disk so I can do a disk repair, but it said that the disk cannot be verified or repaired.

I don't understand this problem. If it was a corrupt file system the hard drive should still show up and be able to be repaired. But, it says the hard drive is not mounted, in essence, disconnected (but windows works!)

What else can I try?
QUOTE Thanks
jkobylt

Hey,

When I do disk repair, it tells me this error message.

"Node structure invalid"
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

That tells you that the filesystem structure is corrupt. Best thing to do is reformat and reinstall it again
QUOTE Thanks
jkobylt

Hey,

1) How do I reformat the drive?
2) Is there any way for me to rescue my data?
3) Will I lose all my applications?

This would be the second time I lose everything without backups...there will be no third time...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does an 85w MagSafe power adapter work with the MacBook? | random shut down? »