New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Dual Layer burning problems...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hardy

Hardy is on a distinguished road

I have a 15.4 in. MBP, and for some reason I can't burn a DL DVD anymore. I'm trying to burn an .iso file in Disk Utility, and it says "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media."

Does anyone have any ideas why this is giving me this error? I've burned many DL's in the past. I would try it in Toast, but I don't know how to burn .iso's in there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you don't have the drawer showing when you start toast. Then click on the little triangle next to word Mac Only. Assuming you have not changed it yet. The drawer should pop out. Select the format tab and then choose ISO 9550 if you have the data tab selected.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Hardy

Yeah I figured that out last night. But it still gave me an error. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
Bear Hunter

Bear Hunter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, MBP

What kind of media are you using? If your using junk media...that may be causing your problems
QUOTE Thanks
Hardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Hunter View Post
What kind of media are you using? If your using junk media...that may be causing your problems

I bought a spindle of Verbatim DL DVD's, and that's when I first got the message. So I took those back, and bought a spindle of Memorex, and it's still giving me the error message.
QUOTE Thanks
nick/chuck

nick/chuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook

Well that is pretty decent media, do you get the message when burning single layer DVD's or CDr's?
QUOTE Thanks
Hardy

I haven't tried a CD for quite a while. But I just burned a single layer DVD yesterday and it worked fine. Only other thing I can think of, is, I ran Onyx a week or two ago. And when it checks out your HDD it said it needed to be repaired. I haven't done that yet, but I'm still not sure that would affect my SuperDrive.
QUOTE Thanks
biggyk

biggyk is on a distinguished road

This has been happening for a while now. Did we find a solution to this? I as well can read/burn cds and dvds but never had been able to burn dl and I know for sure my computer supports it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I... bent my 2.4 alu macbook in half. | MacBook Pro USB not working? »