mac_noobie
    Graphics performence.
    Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks

Graphics performence.
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    I would say that the RAM is a factor, yes

MoltenLava
    256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.

menace3054
    Quote Originally Posted by MoltenLava
    256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.

even when i had 768mb of ram, unreal tournament 2k4 still didnt run too great...

Cloudane
    Whoever said the G4 Powerbook had decent graphics capabilities was obviously thinking of the 15" or 17" model because the NVidia Go5200 in the 12" model is pants

mac_noobie
    Well if thats the case I can't see why they say under their ibook section that it can play unreal tournament... That is if it cannot be played on a powerbook (12 inch).

Thanks

Cloudane
    It should be playable, I just wouldn't expect 60+ FPS.

mac_noobie
    ok thats cool, I wasn't even looking for a gaming computer at all, I just wanted to see what the computer could do.

MoltenLava
    What frame rate do you get anyways?

mac_noobie
    I don't know yet... I was running the app off 68 mb of free memory and it was still running O.K. on minimal settings( i.e. 640x620 res.) I really dont konw what the exact res. was but it was around that . I think if I had 768 or 1.25 gb of ram it would run much faster at a bit better gameplay settings.

snipehack
    You will be able to play it if you upgrade your ram, but I would suggest going all the way up to a gig unless your going to get a better computer anytime soon. Another problem your going to have is that your graphics card is not quite optimal. If you have a 12" then the highest graphics card you can have 64 mb so the graphics might be a little sketchy.

SexyHT
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_noobie
    Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks
    Even if you upgrade to 1 gig of ram it would still be pretty choppy. Apples really arent even comparable to pc's these days when it comes to games and preformance. I would try games like um..... halo should run okay but no fantastic and sims is too choppy to run even on my 1.5ghz g4 128vram. Tropico is a good game.

Thread Information