New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Graphics performence.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_noobie

Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I would say that the RAM is a factor, yes
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenLava
256MB is not enough to run OS X on a Mac. In my experience Mac require about 50% more memory than PC when running similar applications.

Having said that, I don't know if your problem is entirely due to memory. The NVidia FX Go videocard that comes with 12" Powerbook is pretty slow.

even when i had 768mb of ram, unreal tournament 2k4 still didnt run too great...
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Whoever said the G4 Powerbook had decent graphics capabilities was obviously thinking of the 15" or 17" model because the NVidia Go5200 in the 12" model is pants
QUOTE Thanks
mac_noobie

Well if thats the case I can't see why they say under their ibook section that it can play unreal tournament... That is if it cannot be played on a powerbook (12 inch).

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

It should be playable, I just wouldn't expect 60+ FPS.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_noobie

ok thats cool, I wasn't even looking for a gaming computer at all, I just wanted to see what the computer could do.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

What frame rate do you get anyways?
QUOTE Thanks
mac_noobie

I don't know yet... I was running the app off 68 mb of free memory and it was still running O.K. on minimal settings( i.e. 640x620 res.) I really dont konw what the exact res. was but it was around that . I think if I had 768 or 1.25 gb of ram it would run much faster at a bit better gameplay settings.
QUOTE Thanks
snipehack

You will be able to play it if you upgrade your ram, but I would suggest going all the way up to a gig unless your going to get a better computer anytime soon. Another problem your going to have is that your graphics card is not quite optimal. If you have a 12" then the highest graphics card you can have 64 mb so the graphics might be a little sketchy.
QUOTE Thanks
SexyHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_noobie
Hi, I just bought a powerbook G4 and when I did I read that it had good graphics capabilities. I am using the 12 inch model, however when I downloaded an unreal tournament demo to see what it could do, however it was quite glitchy. Should this happen or is it just because I only have 256 mb of ram?

Thanks
Even if you upgrade to 1 gig of ram it would still be pretty choppy. Apples really arent even comparable to pc's these days when it comes to games and preformance. I would try games like um..... halo should run okay but no fantastic and sims is too choppy to run even on my 1.5ghz g4 128vram. Tropico is a good game.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What AMD and Intel processors would be comparable to the G4 1.5 GHz? | 1gb of ram for 149.99, this cant be right! »