Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    cas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 03, 2007
    Posts
    93
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
    Unhappy My charger is melting :S
    Like 3 months ago, a friend's macbook charger got melted by the connector..
    :S
    after that i was being careful with mine... but today i realized that it just stared to melt... it stills working but i cant have it connected for more than 20 min cause it gets too hot..
    what can i do to prevent this?
    please help... the charger replacement is nothing cheap :s

    thanx
    n_n

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,947
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Like 3 months ago, a friend's macbook charger got melted by the connector..
    :S
    after that i was being careful with mine... but today i realized that it just stared to melt... it stills working but i cant have it connected for more than 20 min cause it gets too hot..
    what can i do to prevent this?
    please help... the charger replacement is nothing cheap :s

    thanx
    n_n
    Is it literally melting, or is it just getting hotter than you think it should? They normally do get very hot, and can be uncomfortable to handle. But if the plastic is quite literally melting (turning yellow or getting soft), than I'm afraid you're going to need a replacement.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 26, 2007
    Posts
    33
    Check for metal filings in the connector. Because of the magnets, metal filings can be attracted to your charger and short it out.

  4. #4

    cas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 03, 2007
    Posts
    93
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
    yes is literally melting
    there a little part that is yellow
    :S

  5. #5

    kgeier82's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 01, 2006
    Posts
    1,495
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
    even if the machine is out of warranty, id see what an apple store will do for you. just take the adapter there, and they may very well just give you a new one.

    even if it goes out of warranty, and the adapter melts, and starts a fire, you bet your butt you can sue them for damages.
    im 90% sure theyll replace it for you.

    EDIT: not saying sueing is always the first course of action, like 50% of americans, but sometimes thats what it takes.
    2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 05, 2007
    Posts
    226
    I have heard since this first started happening that Apple will send out a replacement for free. Just call them.
    20" iMac aluminum
    13" MBP
    3 iPhones

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Check out these articles: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306445 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306446 to insure that you are taking care of the charger properly.

  8. #8

    cas's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 03, 2007
    Posts
    93
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinpoway View Post
    Check out these articles: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306445 and http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306446 to insure that you are taking care of the charger properly.
    yeah when my friend's melted i satret to take car of my charger
    but even like that.. it happened :s

    i will call to see what can they told me, cause here in canada the charger is 99 CAD

    :S


    thanx

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Posts
    1
    I have one of the first Gen macbooks... 2.0 CoreDuo and my charger recently did the exact same thing, it melted right near the magnet connector. I took my macbook and melted charger up to the Apple Store two days ago and they helped me right away! Even though there was a 30 min wait for an "appointment" with one of the "geniuses" and the store was PACKED with xmas shoppers they got to me right away and within 10 minutes I was out with a free replacement charger! Two thumbs up to apple customer service!!!

  10. #10

    kgeier82's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 01, 2006
    Posts
    1,495
    Specs:
    MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSounds View Post
    I have one of the first Gen macbooks... 2.0 CoreDuo and my charger recently did the exact same thing, it melted right near the magnet connector. I took my macbook and melted charger up to the Apple Store two days ago and they helped me right away! Even though there was a 30 min wait for an "appointment" with one of the "geniuses" and the store was PACKED with xmas shoppers they got to me right away and within 10 minutes I was out with a free replacement charger! Two thumbs up to apple customer service!!!
    of course you were. anything to get that bad charger out of your hand before new customers in their store start asking you "why?"

    Im surprised they didnt tackle you at the door
    2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt

  11. #11
    I am scared of my charger lol, it gets very hot ( im ok with this) but when u hold it to ur ear there is a very funny noise lol this happen anybody else?

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2008
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by iLewis08 View Post
    I am scared of my charger lol, it gets very hot ( im ok with this) but when u hold it to ur ear there is a very funny noise lol this happen anybody else?
    i have had the same problem with my charger. Ive gone through like 3 chargers in the past year. It starts getting really hot then it melts and doesent work anymore. I called apple and they give a a replacement charger but you have to pay for it until u send the old charger back to them. I'm beginning to hate macs cuz they have alot of problems

  13. #13
    Yeah they have there faults but so does everything lol i still love them lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. USB Flip charger work same as regular USB charger?
    By wrightm in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  2. ecc ram melting
    By infamybrian in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
  3. Melting Plastic
    By xammax in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •