New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macintosh HD vanished from finder:devices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Micra

Micra is on a distinguished road

Hi.

I'm a first time mac user. I wanted to try out boot camp and everything worked out just fine, i booted in windows and made a few configurations.

But when i booted back in OS X and opened finder my Macintosh HD was no were to see on the desktop or in the finder devices menu.
Instead, in both finder and on desktop, i have a new drive "untitled" which i assume is my windows partition?

There doesn't seem to be any problem with my files in the macintosh hd, all my documents and apps are still available. The only problem is that i can't acces it on the desktop and in the finder:device menu.

Can anyone please help me out.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Are you talking about the area to the left of the finder window.

You can drag any icon in there to restore a link, folders, disks etc.

Or it may be your finder defaults have changed, with a window open choose View from the top menu and Show toolbar
QUOTE Thanks
Micra

Micra is on a distinguished road

Yes i'm talking about the area to the left of the finder window.
It's possible that i can just drag the drive to the finder menu. But wherefrom? I can't find the drive anywhere.. If i go to "computer", the only icons i have are "untitled" and "Network".

And my toolbar is shown.. and in preferences I have checked "show these items in the sidebar: hard disks"
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Mine disappeared when I upgraded to OS X Lion.

Finder preference-->Sidebar-->Devices--> ☑ Hard disk
QUOTE Thanks
LordNikon

LordNikon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" IntelCore 2 duo 2Gb Ram DDR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Mine disappeared when I upgraded to OS X Lion.

Finder preference-->Sidebar-->Devices--> ☑ Hard disk
Good evening!!!

I have the same problem, but when I verified on devices, the hard disk has a check mark, but does not appears on the finder on the desktop!!!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Your in the wrong section if you want to have them display on the Desktop, go to Finder Preferences>General>Show these items in the sidebar.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
LordNikon

LordNikon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" IntelCore 2 duo 2Gb Ram DDR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McYukon View Post
Your in the wrong section if you want to have them display on the Desktop, go to Finder Preferences>General>Show these items in the sidebar.
Did that, still not shown on the desktop
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Have you unticked and reticked the checkbox for HD's on the Desktop?

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
widespreadpanic

widespreadpanic is on a distinguished road

NOTE: If you just upgraded to Lion and your Macintosh HD icon disappeared from your sidebar, there's an easy fix. If you don't care about having it on the desktop and just want it on that sidebar, right click on your Remote Disc and click open enclosing folder, and drag and drop Macintosh HD to sidebar.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« torrent | Macbook Pro Screen Problems »