New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Best way to upgrade memory?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

I got my middle-level macbook when they first came out, so it only has 512 MB of memory. I'm pretty sure it's two 256 MB slots.

What would be the best way for me to upgrade my memory? I realy don't want so spend more than $200. On the mac site it says: "For best performance, fill both memory slots, installing an equal memory module in each slot."

And when I upgrade my memory, will I lose all my files and everything?!

any advice would be great
thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

There are plenty of places to buy ram, just make sure you don't save so much money that you end up with crappy ram. Some prices are just too good to be true. Do try to get matching pairs. You can find out what is in there by going to the Apple icon, select About this Mac, More info, memory.
As far as losing files: no. RAM memory and hard drive memory are two very different animals. (Obligatory reminder to back up all of your files anyway!)
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OK so what are all the benefits of upgrading memory? Will it just be faster or will I be able to store more files, too?
QUOTE Thanks
iLewis08

iLewis08 is an unknown at this point

RAM in my mind is a wonderful thing lol, yeah it will have a noticeable performance increase which is always good. I have 2gb at the minute and for me thats fine maybe even a little two much as all i do at the minute is nothin lol. But yeah it means that you can run more programs more smoothly, I would say get as much as you can but have a look to see wat the limit is

QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLewis08 View Post
RAM in my mind is a wonderful thing lol, yeah it will have a noticeable performance increase which is always good. I have 2gb at the minute and for me thats fine maybe even a little two much as all i do at the minute is nothin lol. But yeah it means that you can run more programs more smoothly, I would say get as much as you can but have a look to see wat the limit is

Well I know the max for me is 2 gb, two 1 gb slots.
I've just been confused as to whether or not I'll be able to store more files if I upgrade my memory??

I have SO much music it doesn't leave much room for videos and photos.
What should I do if I'm more concerned about being able to store more photos/videos/music than I am about speed?
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

You need a bigger hard drive, not more RAM. You can get an internal one installed or just get an external one. I got a 500GB hard drive for $150.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OK, what are the benefits/downfalls of an external/internal harddrive?
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Well, an internal drive is of course convenient because it's in your computer and you don't have to carry the external box with you when you need it. An external drive can be larger capacity though, up to 1TB. But you have to plug it in via USB or Firewire to access it. I just have all the data that I don't need immediate access to backed up on my external drive, sitting on a desk at home, so I can connect it to my macbook when I need to.

You should consider how much additional storage you need first. What size hard drive do you have? And how much additional storage do you think you'll need?

I'm sure if you did a search on this forum, you would find a ton of info on what kind of drive would best suit your needs.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
thnksfrthmmrs

thnksfrthmmrs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Considering a Mac... hopefully

RAM and hard drives are totally different. RAM is a temporary storage for when you start up a software like... Safari, Mail... All that is done in RAM and it is kept in RAM unless you exit the software. Minimizing won't do the trick. It's good to have more RAM, because you can use multiple software at once without lagging. I guess that's where multi-tasking comes from. Also RAM empties out when your computer's turned off. It loses all its contents.

Hard drives are devices to store files that are on your computer. It's not temporary like the RAM. Also, unlike RAM, it does not empty out when turned off. It stores files like your mp3, photos, word documents... you get the idea. So RAM and hard drives are very different. You won't be able to store more stuff by adding more RAM. It just makes it faster and you can do more things at once.

Tu Madre =]
Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OK, so if my safari/other internet applications seem to randomly freeze a lot, even when i only have 1 other application open if that, does that mean i may need more RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

RAM helps when you have more than one application open but no app should be freezing anyway, if you've had your mac for a while why don't you try a fresh installation of the OS. Then if you still think things could be better upgrade the RAM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Attaching AV cables. | quick question on the random shut down problem »