New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Really need a suggesetion here...Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tazz212

Tazz212 is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I'm just looking for some help here...I'm having an extremely difficult time making a decision. Here is my quandry.

I would really like to upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro.

I have found someone will to do a trade...My Macbook + $450 for his Macbook Pro

Here are the specs on the two machines
Mine:
Black 13" Macbook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
120 GB HD
etc...

His:
15" Macbook Pro
1.83 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
80 GB HD
etc...

Am I getting ripped off?

I really want the larger screen, I don't care about the hard drive size (will be using external), and I don't care about the DVD writer (will be using external for DL...If it's possible, if not, I don't care about DL)
The better video card would be nice as well.

Does that sound like a fair deal? Will I notice a huge drop in speed? I don't use many serious programs either...I'm a teacher!

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TamiRene

TamiRene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool

Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. You'd be getting a slower computer (Less GHz, less Ram) and a smaller hard drive. Your MB plus $450 for a larger, slower computer doesn't sound like a good deal. That's just my opinion...

"There are those who talk, and without knowledge or forethought reveal a truth which they themselves do not understand."

-Khalil Jibran
QUOTE Thanks
hempcamp

hempcamp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger

Macofalltrades offers a base price of $500 for a 2Ghz MacBook and $700 for a 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro, all things equal.

So make that MacBook + $200, minus about $30 for the difference in RAM/HDD, and that makes about MacBook + $170. Cross check on eBay completed listings and that difference averages up about the same between the two.

Hope this helps!

As for your second question, I'd say the two are about comparable in "speed" for everyday tasks. You won't notice much of a difference except you'll have a little more screen real estate.

--Chris

Current: 20" iMac 2.4/4/320/Leopard / Dell 2407WFP / Leopard
Portable: 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger / iPhone 3G White 16GB
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iMac G4 800 / iBook G3 700 / PowerMac 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5G iPod 30GB
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Keep what you have. It is more than fine for your listed needs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Id say your MB + 200 dollars...MAX!!

And swap the ram.

This only assuming you need a larger screen and a dedicated video card.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

keep your computer.

if you really want to uupgrade it sell it on ebay and then purchase what you want brand new with the exact specs....and plus it will be a ton faster

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

On ebay your computer (Macbook) is going for about $900 and his (MBP) is going for around $1000 - 1200. So if you are going to do I wouldn't give more than $200 cash.

The biggest difference is the 1.83ghz/1.5 ram. What do you do on your computer. If your doing videos/design/photoshop You'd probably like 2+ ghz and 2ram.

Personally I wouldn't because a bigger screen doesn't make up for a slower computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

i wouldn't but that's purely judging on specs if the mbp is what you really want then go for it, but not for $450, $200-$250 max, i personally prefer the portability of the macbook but next year i probably will be getting an imac for the more intensive tasks.

my two cents....
QUOTE Thanks
origami

origami is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Keep the Macbook, use the cash for a monitor and RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
iLewis08

iLewis08 is an unknown at this point

Yeah mate i say keep the your machine it is better, but if u want a bigger screen wat bout just gettin a good price screen for deskwork if that would help

QUOTE Thanks
devites

devites is on a distinguished road

Yeah your friend is unreasonable, spend the 450 on a nice dell monitor, or if you already have a desktop machine then buy a nice graphics card. Just don't trade that is a horrible deal.

Laptop:Macbook 2.2 ghz 160gb hd 1gb ram
Kicking it old school with my ipod mini
QUOTE Thanks
Tazz212

Tazz212 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm going to listen to all of you.

I've got my Macbook listed on ebay and I hope to get $900, which I will put towards a new Macbook Pro.

I guess my hopes and dreams are to be able to play some games on my Mac using Bootcamp.

Currently I run Parallels, and I'm not able to play too many games (I'm using a Macbook too)

I'm just hoping that a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro running Bootcamp will be able to run some Windows games...Nothing overly high end...Is that possible?
QUOTE Thanks
Drufire

Drufire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz212 View Post
I'm just hoping that a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro running Bootcamp will be able to run some Windows games...Nothing overly high end...Is that possible?
If games is your main concern, I would really recommend getting the 2.4 with the 256meg video.

I currently use a MBP 2.4 with 4gigs of ram.(upgraded myself for less than $145) while its @home its connected to a 24inch Gateway HDWidescreen. I mainly play World Of Warcraft and a few older emulated games. IMO the upgrade to the 2.4 256 video is well worth the 400$
QUOTE Thanks
jauhari

jauhari is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz212 View Post
Hello.

I'm just looking for some help here...I'm having an extremely difficult time making a decision. Here is my quandry.

I would really like to upgrade my Macbook to a Macbook Pro.

I have found someone will to do a trade...My Macbook + $450 for his Macbook Pro

Here are the specs on the two machines
Mine:
Black 13" Macbook
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB Ram
120 GB HD
etc...

His:
15" Macbook Pro
1.83 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
80 GB HD
etc...

Am I getting ripped off?

I really want the larger screen, I don't care about the hard drive size (will be using external), and I don't care about the DVD writer (will be using external for DL...If it's possible, if not, I don't care about DL)
The better video card would be nice as well.

Does that sound like a fair deal? Will I notice a huge drop in speed? I don't use many serious programs either...I'm a teacher!

Thanks.
I think it will be better, if you selling your current MacBook and Purchased the new ones
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

yea $450 is way too much
your computer generally has better specs
you can get a great monitor for $450
but, I agree with your decision to sell your mb and by one of the pro's

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« turn off fading display | Choppy Fan noise on MBP »