New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Loose Hinge (MacBook Pro - 3rd Generation)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beaniepole2

beaniepole2 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
My other-half sat on my MacBook Pro today. Whilst this is probably grounds for separation, it has left me with a dysfunctional hinge.

The screen seems to go back a little more than before, and doesn't quite rest neatly along the bottom of the case (it doesn't appear stressed, but not comfortable either).

Additionally (and worst), when put at an angle, the screen shuts... Ruining some of my more slothenly (and thus favourite) MacBook-ing positions.

Does anyone know if I can either:
(a) Easily fix this by tightening the hinges
(b) Fix this by replacing the hinges myself (and where do I get them from?)
(c) Have to send this back to Apple for $$$

I am not covered by Apple Care, but am under warranty. I assume this makes no difference, as neither includes accidental damage.

Best,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

I know the feeling. I've had the same thing happen to me. I don't know that there's much to be done. If the computer still works fine, I don't believe Apple is going to do anything about it.

If someone does know of a fix, that would be helpful. I like to leave my computer open sometimes, and to do so, I have to prop it up with something small.

Ideas?

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
MacKid

MacKid is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB

I refurbish Macs for a living and have found an awesome site where I go in times like both of yours.

http://www.macservice.com/

They can be a little pricey, but they are cheaper than Apple. Hope this helps out.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Thanks! I'll definitely look at it. I think I'm at the point where I'm almost used to the way the screen falls asleep..

Again, thanks!!

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with DVI to Video | Hard Drive upgrade »