New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - I'm stumped, could someone please help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Xp?

Xp? is on a distinguished road

Ive been keeping a low profile in these forums for a while now. I usually get all my info from previous threads but im stumped now. I recently bought a macbook pro with mac osx version 10.4.11. I have a mac os 10.4.6 disk. Im trying to completely restore everything. It seems as though the os i have is incompatable. if this is true can some one connect me with a link to somewhere i can buy the restore disk. Im getting very anxious to use my new toy!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Contact Apple Care. They'll sort it out.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xp? View Post
Ive been keeping a low profile in these forums for a while now. I usually get all my info from previous threads but im stumped now. I recently bought a macbook pro with mac osx version 10.4.11. I have a mac os 10.4.6 disk. Im trying to completely restore everything. It seems as though the os i have is incompatable. if this is true can some one connect me with a link to somewhere i can buy the restore disk. Im getting very anxious to use my new toy!!
Agreed with MHC. Get a hold of Apple.

Did you purchase the MBP new? Where did the 10.4.6 DVD come from? It might not be an Intel version.
QUOTE Thanks
Xp?

I actually bought the laptop at a swap meet. I recieved the 10.4.6 from a friend of mine that works at a comp. store. I used the 10.4.6 to reset my g4 and regular mac books. I fugured ot would work with the pro but i was wrong. If i were to call apple care should i just tell them my situation?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
I actually bought the laptop at a swap meet. I recieved the 10.4.6 from a friend of mine that works at a comp. store. I used the 10.4.6 to reset my g4 and regular mac books. I fugured ot would work with the pro but i was wrong. If i were to call apple care should i just tell them my situation?
Yes, just tell them you purchased it used at a Swap Meet and it came with no DVD's.

The 10.4.6 will not work on the MBP. It's for Power PC Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
userbinry4n

userbinry4n is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white macbook:2ghz, 2gig ram and i have a 30g video ipod

Quote:
yes, i think you should just call APPLE and just tell them that u bought it second hand and need a recovery disc. I am sure that they may charge you. But at least you will have it working. But would buying leopard not do the same thing? I mean what is the difference from buying the new OS and just getting a recovery disc?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Purchasing Leopard would work but all the iLife apps would be missing unless he did an Upgrade or Archive and Install.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I purchased the recovery disks from apple for my Ibook.

They cost me 38$US + shipping.

Like everyone else said...call apple.

QUOTE Thanks
Xp?

Would i sill have iphoto? and photo booth?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Research Apple's website for any of the Macs on sale: restore disks come with the bundled software included on them for exactly this, a reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
Xp?

I didnt purchase the mac from apple< hence the reason for this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I can understand that, but Apple hasn't changed its practices so you can get an idea of what comes with a new Mac by looking at the website and the equivalent came with an older Mac as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« This Ram O.K | (Light topic) Anyone else have insane need to constantly clean their trackpad? »