New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Offset Problem, please help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajlwoody

ajlwoody is on a distinguished road

Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

Thanks

Adam
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlwoody View Post
Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

Thanks

Adam
If it's just a couple of millimeters on either side, then know that they're pretty much all like that. The uneven tension of the hinge, and bending, flexing of the plastics under normal usage causes it. The MacBook Pro is the same way. I wouldn't worry about it.

Do a search for "Macbook", "gap" and "lid" - you'll see lots of threads about it. Sometimes Apple will address it, but don't be surprised if the replacement develops the same gap - it's just the nature of the beast.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ajlwoody

ajlwoody is on a distinguished road

You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

Thanks for you help
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlwoody View Post
You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

Thanks for you help
It wouldn't be unheard of. Even if it were perfect when new, after a few weeks of normal usage it would likely have a slight gap on one or both sides.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
fretboardguru

fretboardguru is on a distinguished road

i hate saying it but this is normal. I have had my macbook since august and I have run into all sorts of cosmetic errors. The computers insides have been fantastic...not a thing gone wrong but the outside is poor. Mine is a bit "offset" as yours is. Also, the frame around my screen is comming up. I actually sent it in to be repaired and it came back the same. I think apple is starting to be a little "lax" in the building process. Maybe cheaper plastics to? Im not gonna worry about it right now because Im sick of driving up to the store but eventually I will take it back in and tell them to fix it right. I have been very unsatisfied with Apple Tech crew in my area.
QUOTE Thanks
bence8810

bence8810 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife

Hi

Mine came like that too, I was extremely irritated about it. I was used to Vaio's, and the quality was just superb. The MacBook's built quality isnt that good, but I still love it. Mine also had the gap from the very beginning, and if I adjust it by hand, it goes back. (I know I shouldnt do that though... )

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisiw View Post
As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

Chris
Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.

QUOTE Thanks
bence8810

bence8810 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.
I dont know the US VAIOs, I bought all of mine in Japan, as I prefer the small versions, and they have been nothing but joy. The quality was excellent, much superior to the MacBook. Just like mentioned above, sharp edges, gaps here and there. However, this isnt to drag down Macs, after all I changed, and I dont regret it at all. I just thought to contribute to this thread with my experiences.

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

To me I dont see what the big problem is with a few millimeters offset.... Its not like it makes the computer ugly or any harder to use. If it were say warped, pitted, bubbly or the colour wore off; maybe then I'd complain. But imo i think the macbook looks great! Especially my black one! The reliability and ease of fixing any issues that do occur have sold me on macs for life! My first computer was an ibm box with Win ME...omg that was horrible nothing worked right and it crashed at least 3-4 times a week..... If i knew macs were more reliable etc, I'd probably have an iMac g3 somewhere in my house lol!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook G4 Seperate Monitor | Need Quick Advice..! »