Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 05, 2007
    Posts
    205
    Offset Problem, please help
    Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

    Thanks

    Adam

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlwoody View Post
    Bought my macbook a few days ago an really please with it apart from one thing! The lid (Top) is slightly offset. When i close my macbook the top section does not sit sqaure with thr bottom section (keyboard section) The top hangs slightly over the bottom on the right and is slightly in on the left if you understand me. Is there nefing i can do (adjust some screws?) or do u suggest i just phone apple and ask for a replacement?

    Thanks

    Adam
    If it's just a couple of millimeters on either side, then know that they're pretty much all like that. The uneven tension of the hinge, and bending, flexing of the plastics under normal usage causes it. The MacBook Pro is the same way. I wouldn't worry about it.

    Do a search for "Macbook", "gap" and "lid" - you'll see lots of threads about it. Sometimes Apple will address it, but don't be surprised if the replacement develops the same gap - it's just the nature of the beast.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 05, 2007
    Posts
    205
    You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

    Thanks for you help

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by ajlwoody View Post
    You say under normal usage causes it. Mine came like it? Is this pretty common for them to come like that aswel then?

    Thanks for you help
    It wouldn't be unheard of. Even if it were perfect when new, after a few weeks of normal usage it would likely have a slight gap on one or both sides.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 19, 2007
    Posts
    14
    i hate saying it but this is normal. I have had my macbook since august and I have run into all sorts of cosmetic errors. The computers insides have been fantastic...not a thing gone wrong but the outside is poor. Mine is a bit "offset" as yours is. Also, the frame around my screen is comming up. I actually sent it in to be repaired and it came back the same. I think apple is starting to be a little "lax" in the building process. Maybe cheaper plastics to? Im not gonna worry about it right now because Im sick of driving up to the store but eventually I will take it back in and tell them to fix it right. I have been very unsatisfied with Apple Tech crew in my area.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2007
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    94
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
    Hi

    Mine came like that too, I was extremely irritated about it. I was used to Vaio's, and the quality was just superb. The MacBook's built quality isnt that good, but I still love it. Mine also had the gap from the very beginning, and if I adjust it by hand, it goes back. (I know I shouldnt do that though... )

    Ben

  7. #7

    chrisiw's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 06, 2007
    Location
    Isle of Wight UK
    Posts
    252
    Specs:
    iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
    As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

    Chris

  8. #8

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisiw View Post
    As already said on here, the computer is fantastic, but the case is quite poor I think, sharp edges, thin construction, lets hope that they sort it out on the next models. If only you could get a Sony Vaio with a Mac system.

    Chris
    Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

    Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2007
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    94
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Trust me - having been in the PC repair business for some time, you DO NOT want a Sony Vaio if longevity is of any concern. Absolutely overpriced garbage. I'd take a Dell over a Vaio any day - at least they make replacement parts available to the general public.

    Remember folks, laptops take a lot more abuse than desktops do. They are bent, flexed and moved on a very regular basis. Ultimately, they are tools that are designed to get a job done. A hammer can still drive nails regardless of how pretty it looks.
    I dont know the US VAIOs, I bought all of mine in Japan, as I prefer the small versions, and they have been nothing but joy. The quality was excellent, much superior to the MacBook. Just like mentioned above, sharp edges, gaps here and there. However, this isnt to drag down Macs, after all I changed, and I dont regret it at all. I just thought to contribute to this thread with my experiences.

    Ben

  10. #10

    Chimpur's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 18, 2007
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    413
    Specs:
    See Signature
    To me I dont see what the big problem is with a few millimeters offset.... Its not like it makes the computer ugly or any harder to use. If it were say warped, pitted, bubbly or the colour wore off; maybe then I'd complain. But imo i think the macbook looks great! Especially my black one! The reliability and ease of fixing any issues that do occur have sold me on macs for life! My first computer was an ibm box with Win ME...omg that was horrible nothing worked right and it crashed at least 3-4 times a week..... If i knew macs were more reliable etc, I'd probably have an iMac g3 somewhere in my house lol!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quicktime QTtext, offset text file using text track.
    By Jesse Smith in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 03:05 PM
  2. outlook 2011 problem problem problem
    By knfall97 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
  3. Weird Mouse Offset?
    By pantstofry in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 03:28 PM
  4. Offset Screen
    By thewarrior05 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
  5. Page offset
    By vank66 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •