New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - G4 ibook wont read install discs!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robbiemullen

robbiemullen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 1.6Ghz,w/ 1.2Gb ram,+17" Apple studio Display..Mac Book Pro 2GHz w/ 1.5gb ram

My girlfriends 12" G4 ibook is acting up.it will read cds (music,data) and dvds (movies) but it wont pick up the Os x discs if insert them.it just makes some noise for a bit as if it is trying to read them and then spits them out!. i am trying to re-install iPhoto because it wont run anymore.they are the install discs that came with the machine
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Give it a good clean?

If not - phone apple - they may replace the disks for you
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 1.6Ghz,w/ 1.2Gb ram,+17" Apple studio Display..Mac Book Pro 2GHz w/ 1.5gb ram

its something else..i tryed the install discs that came with my macbook pro but it would not read them either.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Did you try cleaning the cd drive?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you used the restore disks that came with you MacBook Pro, it's only normal the iBook won't accept them. These are hardware specific disks and the iBook is PowerPC while your MBP is Intel-based.

I agree with the others that you need to clean the iBook's restore disk, it might be some dirt that is preventing the iBook from reading it. It obviously is not the hardware that's at fault here since it can read other media just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
If you used the restore disks that came with you MacBook Pro, it's only normal the iBook won't accept them. These are hardware specific disks and the iBook is PowerPC while your MBP is Intel-based.
I know,but it should still be able to read whats on them.its like when i put the install discs from ibook G4 into my powermac G5, i can read whats on them but not use them (obviously!)...
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Read them? Acknowledged. Seems like the optical drive has problems with the OS disks since it can read other types of CDs or DVDs.

Can you create a new user with admin privileges and see if the restore disk is usable there?
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

i created another account with admin privileges...still nothing comes up.when i press eject in the new account it wont eject the disc.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I am looking for a plist file somewhere that would have something to do with the optical drive but can't find anything. Besides, the drive reacting this way in another brand new user account means the corruption is system-wide.

One thing you could do is re-install the OS via Target Disk mode, your Mac being the master and her iBook being the slave. There shouldn't be any problems as long as you use her restore disks and not yours.

It has to be a software problem, can't see it as being a hardware problem but I could be wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could also burn a fresh copy of her disks from your mac and see if the new copy works
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

all i am looking to do is fix the error with iPhoto 06. when i go to open iPhoto it says: "The Photo library was created with an unreleased version of iPhoto. Please quit and upgrade this photo library by opening it in iPhoto 2 or iPhoto 4",but now i am concerned with its ability to read its own install discs.
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You could also burn a fresh copy of her disks from your mac and see if the new copy works
thats not a bad idea..all i would have to do is burn one of them and see if it works.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Those disks have copy-protection on them.

I am thinking that you could use your Mac to install iPhoto in target mode just like I suggested earlier. You use your Mac's optical drive to install on her Mac whatever it is you want to install. As long as you use her restore disks, there will not be a problem, as stated earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
robbiemullen

any other suggestions regarding iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Those disks have copy-protection on them.

I am thinking that you could use your Mac to install iPhoto in target mode just like I suggested earlier. You use your Mac's optical drive to install on her Mac whatever it is you want to install. As long as you use her restore disks, there will not be a problem, as stated earlier.

Try the above method first
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Video Issue with MBP since Leopard | 1gb vs. 2gb »