Thread: anti virus?

mac_noobie
    anti virus?
    Hi, my new PB is coming in tomorrow, I heard from my friend a while back before I switched that Apple computers technically don't need anti virus software because they normally arn't targeted. I ran a PC without Anti-virus software for three months and I never got a virus... I was just very careful about what I allowed for Cookies (which I don't know exist on macs or not because this is my first mac), and what I download is also watched carefully... I figure if I take these procautions that I won't have to worry to much about gettig a virus on a mac.

Thanks,

anti virus?
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
    yea don't worry about it. no virus issues on a mac. relax

wickedbusa
    Yup, my PB has NO virus software and I have not had ANY issues. Ya gotta love Macs!

anti virus?
    Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Most corporations install anti-virus software on their Mac's for one reason. To protect their PC systems that share the same network. Generally speaking, the average Mac home user won't need any such software. Save your money for memory upgrades or something that's really worth while.

Cloudane
    I ran a PC without Anti-virus software for three months and I never got a virus...
    How did you know? I'm presuming you used an online scan or something like that... otherwise, you'll be amazed at what lurks unnoticed.

I left a new install of XP unvirused, unpatched and unfirewalled for about 60 minutes and 8 viruses/trojans found *their own* way in (presumably through security exploits... if you run a firewall or are behind a router then just being careful is enough to avoid viruses most of the time)

As for Mac, no worries whatsoever from what I've seen so far.

mac_noobie
    wow... I never new that, I'll run an online scan just to make sure, thanks. But I'm glad I wont have to waste any more money to virus software instead of cool upgrades to my PB.

Thanks

anti virus?
    Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    If your a little paranoid then there are Free anti-virus applications on the internet. If your a .Mac member, Apple has given you Virex.

Thread Information