New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - hard drive upgrade with out loosing data

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

hi guys

well i have just got a a nice new 250gb hard drive for my macbook but need a way to make like and iso or something of my current hard drive (100gb) so that i can fit my new hard drive and when i install leopard on it let it copy and set up all my files like on my 100gb drive

is there a easy way to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

easy way to do what?

are you trying to do what I'm trying to do?
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

Something you may wan to do is buy an external hard drive enclosure to put your old drive in. This will also make it very easy to migrate your data. I'm doing this as I type actually. I picked up an external drive enclosure that has a USB connection (no firewire though) at Radio Shack for $25.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner, and just cloned my hard drive with it. Then the external drive is bootable. Or...at that point you can just pop it out and put it in your computer.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

well sorted thanks for the help so what i did was take my old hard drive out and rip apart an wd passport drive i had kicking about and used to to plug my old hard drive in over usb then installed leopard to the new hard drive in my macbook then used the copy files from another place on this computer to copy all my programs apps and data across
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Here's a question to piggy back on this one, apropos to the topic.

I plan on doing the upgrade to Leopard as part of my own internal hard drive upgrade. I'll be doing the 'get a SATA firewire enclosure for the current drive, swap out old drive for new [bigger] drive, put old drive in enclosure, install Leopard fresh on new drive, drag my data and apps over from old drive when done' method. The old drive will then become additional space when at home, or possibly I might pack it up with the rest of my kit so I can have it with my Mac all the time depending on how portable/obtrusive it is. My current external is a full size, and kind of bulky to cart around.

I know that about 99% of my apps will drag right over to the new Applications folder, but what about Photoshop CS3? I know Adobe is one of those vendors that doesn't necessarily package up it's stuff correctly, and since there will be no adobe things in /Library, etc. I'm going to have to Install from CD, aren't I?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Here's a question to piggy back on this one, apropos to the topic.

I plan on doing the upgrade to Leopard as part of my own internal hard drive upgrade. I'll be doing the 'get a SATA firewire enclosure for the current drive, swap out old drive for new [bigger] drive, put old drive in enclosure, install Leopard fresh on new drive, drag my data and apps over from old drive when done' method. The old drive will then become additional space when at home, or possibly I might pack it up with the rest of my kit so I can have it with my Mac all the time depending on how portable/obtrusive it is. My current external is a full size, and kind of bulky to cart around.

I know that about 99% of my apps will drag right over to the new Applications folder, but what about Photoshop CS3? I know Adobe is one of those vendors that doesn't necessarily package up it's stuff correctly, and since there will be no adobe things in /Library, etc. I'm going to have to Install from CD, aren't I?
Immediately following the installation of Leopard, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. One of the options is to recover your settings/documents and applications from a backup disk. Just pick that option and it should import everything from your old hard drive. I don't believe it broke any of my apps, except MS Office.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Immediately following the installation of Leopard, you'll be prompted to run the Migration Assistant. One of the options is to recover your settings/documents and applications from a backup disk. Just pick that option and it should import everything from your old hard drive. I don't believe it broke any of my apps, except MS Office.
lol this is what i did and is how i have done my last ibook to macbook upgrade and this hard drive swap the other day but over usb speed had my mac out of use for just over a day but fire wire should b a lot fast
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new hard drive | Weird Video Issue with MBP since Leopard »