New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - 1gb vs. 2gb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Justin Cope

Justin Cope is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2003 17" Powerbook G4 1ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd.

I have a 2003 17" Powerbook G4 1 ghz with 1gb of ram. I'm thinking of upgrading it finally with 2 gb of ram and a 250 gb hard drive. A few people on the net said they had no problem with using 2 gb in their 1 ghz powerbook but apple's site has it down for only supporting up to a gig. Any experience with this? Also, how great would the benefits be in OS X? I'm looking at my dock and right now the programs I use the most are- Safari, Photoshop CS 2, Dreamweaver, Audacity, Garage Band 3, Word, Excel, Ichat, Itunes, Toast, and a couple others I don't use enough to care about... Would 2 gigs help performance in any of these apps? Right now with just safari, stickies, ichat, and itunes open (dashboard and preview as well) My ram sits at 677 mb used.

Also this laptop should have no problem being outfitted with a 250 gig hd right?

Thanks in advance!

-Justin.

Also, would two of these sticks work??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820236309

Thanks again!

"What do you mean your computer's hooked up directly to the net with no firewall?!"
**I love all apples.**
QUOTE Thanks
mphubbar

mphubbar is on a distinguished road

i don't have any experience using 2 gigs in a 1ghz machine...i believe in theory it should work but don't know for sure.

i would use ramjet.com to get your ram...it is cheap and compatible....

two gigs will make a world of difference especially in CS 2, dreamweaver, audacity and garage band...if you can get confirmation that it will work i would say do it for sure you will notice a big difference....
QUOTE Thanks
kutrack1

kutrack1 is on a distinguished road

you need to check maybe if your computer and its mobo supports more that 1gb of ram itself. processor speed has nothing to do with the amount of ram supported
QUOTE Thanks
userbinry4n

userbinry4n is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white macbook:2ghz, 2gig ram and i have a 30g video ipod

yeah, you need to be confident that your processor can handle 2ghz. I have had pc's that can only handle 1 gig and i bought more ram and just wasted my money.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 ibook wont read install discs! | Help with DVI to Video »