New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - eSATA Expresscard 34

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mapexvenus

mapexvenus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

Can someone recommend an eSATA Expresscard that actually works well with Leopard? What data transfer speeds have you been able to achieve with it when connected to an external drive with an eSATA interface, and is it truly faster than FW800?

I am an Apple customer, not a fanboy.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
Can someone recommend an eSATA Expresscard that actually works well with Leopard? What data transfer speeds have you been able to achieve with it when connected to an external drive with an eSATA interface, and is it truly faster than FW800?
I've yet to find one, but I can answer your latter query. ESATA is just another connector type on the same SATA bus that is inside of your computer. So, you have a theoretical rate of 3.0Gb/s, compared to an 800Mb/s rate for FW800. There are 1000Mb in a Gb, so theoretically, it should be more than 3 times the speed. I say theoretically, because hard drives simply can't transmit data at those speeds as the bus is not the bottleneck, but the drive technology itself.

The bottom line here is that if you want your external drive to function at the same speeds as an internal drive, you're best off with an ESATA adapter. FW800 will be comparable, but with ESATA, you're essentially using the same bus so it's an apples to apples comparison.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

mapexvenus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I've yet to find one, but I can answer your latter query. ESATA is just another connector type on the same SATA bus that is inside of your computer. So, you have a theoretical rate of 3.0Gb/s, compared to an 800Mb/s rate for FW800. There are 1000Mb in a Gb, so theoretically, it should be more than 3 times the speed. I say theoretically, because hard drives simply can't transmit data at those speeds as the bus is not the bottleneck, but the drive technology itself.

The bottom line here is that if you want your external drive to function at the same speeds as an internal drive, you're best off with an ESATA adapter. FW800 will be comparable, but with ESATA, you're essentially using the same bus so it's an apples to apples comparison.
I bought a eSATA card recently and had to wait until the manufacturer released a beta leopard driver. When I finally tested it on a LaCie hard drive, I tested it by transferring a 1 GB file from my local HDD to the external drive. I found that it was actually slower than connecting via FW800. Even if the transfer speed of 3.0 Gb is theoretical, shouldn't it be faster than FW800? I am tempted to go out and buy a drive faster than FW 800 since I need the speed, but don't want to until I know that this works.

I am an Apple customer, not a fanboy.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexvenus View Post
I bought a eSATA card recently and had to wait until the manufacturer released a beta leopard driver. When I finally tested it on a LaCie hard drive, I tested it by transferring a 1 GB file from my local HDD to the external drive. I found that it was actually slower than connecting via FW800. Even if the transfer speed of 3.0 Gb is theoretical, shouldn't it be faster than FW800? I am tempted to go out and buy a drive faster than FW 800 since I need the speed, but don't want to until I know that this works.
ESATA should be equal to or greater than the speed of FW800. The performance discrepancies you've observed are likely the result of the beta driver. I would contact the manufacturer and report the problem, typically developers are looking for that kind of feedback on products still in beta.

I would absolutely not buy a different drive - LaCie is well known for high quality drives and components.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook Screen trouble | MacBook accessories »