New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Hard Drive upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Verted

Verted is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM

I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook's hard drive, as the one i've currently got is only a 60gb and I've got roughly 9gb left. Will any of the following drives work on a MacBook?:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/produc...rtby=priceDesc
If not, which will? I'm really only looking to spend about 50-60 (maybe less if I can get away with it) although I would be willing to up to 70 if really neccessary.

Also, which is the best brand of Hard Drive to get? I used to use Maxtor on my desktop but that was a long time ago, and i'm not sure anymore.

Any advice on upgrading my Hard Drive would be great. Is it fairly straightforward?

--
Thanks,
- Verted

http://verted.net
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Here's a link to the instructions to DIY: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac...dDrive_DIY.pdf

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
Verted

Hey, thanks for the link Will all of the drives on that website work in a Macbook though?

--
Thanks,
- Verted

QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

AtTheCross is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac 24" Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM

I don't know how economical this will be for you, but this is what I did.

I bought a WD Passport 250gb drive, took it apart, removed that drive and installed into my macbook. took the old macbook drive and put it in the WD enclosure

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
Verted

Hmm, I dunno if i'd find it easier just to buy a new drive that can go straight into my MacBook. Really I just wanted to know if any SATA 2.5" HDD will work in a MacBook?

Western Digital do seem to be the most reliable drives as well, as they are all mostly out of stock on Overclockers.co.uk

--
Thanks,
- Verted

QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

yes, any SATA 2.5" HDD will work.

As far as the portable drive goes, it's pretty simple you pry it open (no screws) and remove a small pcb board. then reverse to put your old drive into the enclosure.

if you get a drive, then you will have your old drive just laying around or go through the hassle of selling it

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18
QUOTE Thanks
twinturbo350z

twinturbo350z is on a distinguished road

are the 250gb passport drives the same as the regular internal drives wd makes. like in same speed?
QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

yes, same speed, I don't know what the cache size is for the original but this one is only 2mb.

I have not noticed a difference between my old 60gb original mac drive and this one

QUOTE Thanks
minnesota

minnesota is on a distinguished road

how big of a hdd will the MBP recognize?
QUOTE Thanks
Verted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
yes, any SATA 2.5" HDD will work.

As far as the portable drive goes, it's pretty simple you pry it open (no screws) and remove a small pcb board. then reverse to put your old drive into the enclosure.

if you get a drive, then you will have your old drive just laying around or go through the hassle of selling it
Okay so I can buy a portable external hard drive with the capacity I want for my macbook. Take the hard drive out of it. Put it in my Macbook and install OS X. Then I can put my original macbook drive into the portable external hard drive and copy my files over?

This would actually be really good because I was thinking about getting an external hard drive anyway so that I can use Time Machine.

--
Thanks,
- Verted

QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

you got it! That's exactly what I did.

QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesota View Post
how big of a hdd will the MBP recognize?
I read on another forum about someone putting in a 320gb drive in a MBP.

However, I don't think there is a limit to the size that would be recognized. I think the limiting factor is the physical size.

QUOTE Thanks
Verted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross View Post
you got it! That's exactly what I did.
And you're sure its as straight forward as you say? Will I void my warranty? What can go wrong?

Surely the hard drives in portable externals arent designed to work in any old laptop? Are they all standard 2.5" SATA drives?

--
Thanks,
- Verted

QUOTE Thanks
AtTheCross

Is it straight forward: It really is that simple. ok, was thinking what else I did and I did forget one thing, you will need a #8 or #9 torx drive (the * shaped tip screwdriver) you will need this to take the four screws off the original mac hdd and attach it to the new drive. All drives have standard placement for screw holes. You will then have to format the new drive and install the OS, but you would do that anyway with a new drive purchase

Will I void my warranty: you will void the warranty on your portable drive, you won't void the warranty on your macbook.

What could go wrong: hmmm what could go wrong mac side, I guess if you try to force the drive in (it only goes in one way) then that would mess it up.

Portable side, if you pry too hard you could snap a tab off the case but the WD portable was SUPER easy. When you take off the PCB (printed circuit board) and don't pry off evenly you could bend the pins.

Surely (don't call me shirley): only portable drives will work, a desktop external will not work because it is a 3.5" drive. You have the same model laptop I have, it worked for me

Are they all 2.5" SATA drives: No, you will have to read the box or specs online, make sure it says 2.5" drive and SATA

QUOTE Thanks
Verted

Okay thanks. I'll probably give it a try, as it does work out so much cheaper, especially considering I want an external hard drive anyway.

I quite like the look of this drive:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=14&subcat=170

Is this the one you had? Also I notice it only has a 2MB Cache buffer, whereas all the 2.5" SATA drives have like an 8mb cache buffer. Will I notice the difference?

Also, one more question. When I put my old Macbook hard drive back into my external hard drive, will my files be THAT easy to transfer over to my new hard drive (Once i've formatted it and installed OSX)?

--
Thanks,
- Verted

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Loose Hinge (MacBook Pro - 3rd Generation) | macbook + 16 mth old son + inkstamp= help req »