New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook @ Home

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

Do you ever use your macbook when you are at home or do you just use a desktop computer or an iMac?

If you do, Do you use your macbook as it is or do you connect it to a monitor and/or keyboard or mouse?

I have a monitor with a KVM switch but i find it a bit of a hassle to connect it, close the lid and awake the macbook form sleep then have to change the resolution. I find if i leave the macbook's lid open all my resolutions go all wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
Granny Prime

Granny Prime is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, White 80GB iPod 5th Generation

I have a MacBook Pro and it's my MAIN computer. I don't travel really, but when I go to my Dad for the weekend I take it with me. I sorta miss a big chunky tower next to me though. lol

But I am planning on upgrading an old Mac soon so that'd be pretty nice =]
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

My Macbook is my main computer and I do not hook it up to anything.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

I can imagin a macbook pro wouldent be to bad to use as the screen on them is bigger than the macbook. I find that using the macbook's screen when im out and about is fine but i would rather something bigger when im at home. its just a shame that its such a fuss and i cant just simply connect it to my monitor setup and shut the macbook lid.

I also find it much easier to actualy attatch an external keyboard and mouse to use a laptop at home, but again the trackpad and keyboard is fine when im out and about.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

I use my macbook all day. When i am at the office i use it with out an external monitor. While i am at home it is hooked up to a 22" monitor, external keyboard, mouse, ipod docks, external hard drive, printer, and a memory card reader. With the exception of the monitor i use a usb hub to connect all the other equipment.

Although i am thinking about getting a desktop (imac or mac pro) next summer

I do use both the macbook screen and the external monitor at the same time. I was having to do the same process as you with the monitor being in the wrong resolution unless i plugged it in then woke my macbook from sleep. When i switched from using the VGA to the DVI connection i no longer had that problem. I plug the monitor in and it, as well as my macbook, go to the correct resolution. No need to sleep and wake my computer or adjust the resolution
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

If you switched FROM the VGA to DVI adapter, what did you switch TWO? How do you connect your macbook to your monitor with out it?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
If you switched FROM the VGA to DVI adapter, what did you switch TWO? How do you connect your macbook to your monitor with out it?
By using a non-VGA monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

1) I use my MBP as is when I'm using it. Don't use a Desktop at home.

2) I'm not too much of an expert on connecting your MB to your monitor, but I know that here at work, many of the people using their notebooks with a monitor set it so that both screens are up and on using the display preferences.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

My monitor has both a VGA connection and a DVI connection. When i started i only had a mini DVI to VGA adapter for my macbook so I used the VGA connection on my monitor. I had problems with the connection working correctly (the screen in the wrong resolution) and read some where that people who had a similar problem were able to correct it by using the DVI connection on the monitor. The next day i went to the apple store and picked up the mini DVI to DVI connector and tried that. I have not had a problem since then.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

I only have a Macbook so yes I use it at home also.
I hook it up to an external monitor (old 17" vga LOL) to have more screen space and also an external keyboard and a mouse.

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
mad_vtak

mad_vtak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Reigns surpeme

Just plug it in?
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

Mad_Vtak, is that a 15 or a 17inch macbook pro?
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
Do you ever use your macbook when you are at home or do you just use a desktop computer or an iMac?

If you do, Do you use your macbook as it is or do you connect it to a monitor and/or keyboard or mouse?
My MacBook is my primary computer, and I make it work hard for me. I use it connected to nothing but an external hard drive for backups and a wireless network for connecting to the world. For pleasure, I use my MB for connecting to the net, using and manipulating multimedia, and recreational programming. When needed for work, I connect to my employer through a VPN, attach to our Linux compute servers via VNC, and connect to Windows machines (servers, desktops) via RDC.

In moving to the Mac in January, I decided to forego external devices - trackball, monitor, KVM switch, et al - at least initially. I like that I can either do everything with the machine just as it is, or "bring" other machines and services to me wherever I am. The MB screen is adequate in size, and Spaces in Leopard makes my little machine *very* flexible.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

I have both an iMac and a macbook but I use the macbook more often because it is nice to watch espn and surf the internet while laying on the couch. My wife mostly uses the iMac and I use it for music and movie organization
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Preservation | Which Airport card for a new Mac Book Pro ? »