New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Turns off with no low battery warning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kalkarman

kalkarman is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have a 17" macbook pro.

After over a year of happy computing, my computer just turns off with no warning of a low battery. And in fact the battery is usually at 30 or 40 percent (in finder display, and also according to direct LEDS on battery).

I thought it was the battery so I replace it. Nope... still does it.
I thought it was a software problem, so I erased my disk and installed leopard... Nope still does it.

So not battery, not software. Anyone out there with an idea of what it could be?

Many thanks,

Kal
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Are you anywhere near an Apple store

You could it to the experts bar and ask them if there are any known issues with your MacBook

Must be a hardware issue with all the things you have already tried.
QUOTE Thanks
Breckenridge

Breckenridge is on a distinguished road

I don't think that this is a hardware issue. DID YOU UPGRADE YOUR COMPUTER TO LEOPARD? We upgraded few macBooks and macBook Pros from tiger to leopard and since then all upgraded notebooks have the same problem: No low battery warning, once the battery has been drained it shuts down the machine.

I think it is a bug in OS X 10.5 and most likely we are going to see a fix for it shortly. Apple the new Microsoft: BUILD, SELL and FIX LATER...
QUOTE Thanks
squozen

squozen is on a distinguished road

I went to Control Panel > Energy Saver and set it back to the defaults. I had set it to Never put the computer to sleep, and I haven't had a shutdown since I set it back to the 10-minute default.
QUOTE Thanks
bobbybray

bobbybray is on a distinguished road

I am also having this problem. No warning and computer just loosing power shutting down even when battery length shows as 50-60%. I upgraded from tiger to leopard but ages ago and this has only recently started happening.
QUOTE Thanks
navral

navral is on a distinguished road

Have recently started experiencing this problem. Tried reinstalling OSX, installing iFan control, resetting etc.
tried the suggestion from this thread on energy saving - still no turn offs for 20 mins. I literally had them every 3-5 mins! It is a disaster as I'm working on a project with hardcore deadline...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new hard drive, but not able to restore | My Macbook won't start up »