New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Are the new Macbooks' graphic cards really good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

for games that use 128mb cards. I might think about getting a Oblivion for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

well the new ones have 144mb of shared memory so yes in theory if a games states it can run at 128mb then yes you can.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unlikely that you would enjoy the experience with that video card. Unless you like playing at single digit frame rates.

Review of the GMA X3100
Mixed reviews on the MacBook Pro, but this one is typical.

Google is your friend - "Oblivion MacBook".
Did not find a positive response related to the MacBook in a quick search.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

They should have added a geforce or something but im sure that would have really raised the price by a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Oblivion will frankly, run like crap on a regular macbook...yes, even the new 2.2 ones.

No dedicated video memory equals poor gaming performance no matter how you slice it.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

you don't buy macbooks for games, if you did you will be disappointed, they are education based notebooks, if you want to run games you need a macbook pro. Macbooks are great notebooks in every field barring gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

they should add a dedicated graphics card, i think this is the downfall of the macbook range, not being a gamer or heavy graphics user it wasn't such a deterrent for me
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

i didnt i said in theory
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
they should add a dedicated graphics card, i think this is the downfall of the macbook range, not being a gamer or heavy graphics user it wasn't such a deterrent for me
Thats why they make the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

i think apple could but they want there to be more of a gap between the mb and the mbp. Examples of this can be seen in apple misleading of the max ram that can be put in it, apple say max is 2gb but everyone knows you can have up to 3gb
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_OS View Post
Examples of this can be seen in apple misleading of the max ram that can be put in it, apple say max is 2gb but everyone knows you can have up to 3gb
Is this true? Really? I feel like I've heard conflicting reports on that. I got my Macbook in May 2007, just before they came out with the 2.13 ghz ones. If my macbook has the capability to recognize 3GB RAM, I think I'll upgrade it.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
devites

devites is on a distinguished road

I have the new 2.2 ghz and oblivion does not run smoothly. Sorry but you need a macbook pro. Games that run smoothy that I play are: Age of mythology (duh), Starcraft, Halo, Call of Duty, and Tony Hawk 2. So unless you like older games mbp.

Laptop:Macbook 2.2 ghz 160gb hd 1gb ram
Kicking it old school with my ipod mini
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

World of Warcraft runs pretty fine on my macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

oblivion would run like a slide show on a mac with a 128mb video card.

The 8600 are not that great for games anyway, if you are into gaming stick to the PC.
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

I managed to get Oldblivion working on my fiances macbook (2.0 C2D White) It actually worked really well. You lose some of the "pretty" factor, but you can get around 20-25 fps and get the awesome story line. Something I found interesting is that she was able to play Oblivion on battery for about 2.5 hours, before the battery died. For oldblivion go here:

http://www.oldblivion.com/

I remember having to make a setting different so that it would start...if I remember, I'll edit. This should work slightly better with the newer revision macbooks. Not a ton, but enough Good luck.

Also, my 2 cents about not putting dedicated graphics in the macbook. Battery Life! You'd lose quite a bit, even if they decided to put an 8400m gs in there. I admire apple for keeping with the integrated. As technology progresses, I'm sure we'll see some form of a dedicated graphics, but for now, be happy that you can get nearly 5 hours out of a very powerful laptop, even if it does have integrated graphics. Try playing a game on macbook pro, suddenly you only have 1 hour of battery life. They each have their ups and downs.

Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [Urgen]CD-rom Ejection Problem | Matsu****a DVD-R UJ-857 »