Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Are the new Macbooks' graphic cards really good? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/85125-new-macbooks-graphic-cards-really-good.html)

hal515 11-17-2007 07:52 PM

Are the new Macbooks' graphic cards really good?

for games that use 128mb cards. I might think about getting a Oblivion for it.

Mac_OS 11-17-2007 08:52 PM

well the new ones have 144mb of shared memory so yes in theory if a games states it can run at 128mb then yes you can.

bobtomay 11-17-2007 09:59 PM

Unlikely that you would enjoy the experience with that video card. Unless you like playing at single digit frame rates.

Review of the GMA X3100
Mixed reviews on the MacBook Pro, but this one is typical.

Google is your friend - "Oblivion MacBook".
Did not find a positive response related to the MacBook in a quick search.

hal515 11-17-2007 11:04 PM

They should have added a geforce or something but im sure that would have really raised the price by a lot.

JerrfyLube 11-18-2007 04:32 AM

Oblivion will frankly, run like crap on a regular macbook...yes, even the new 2.2 ones.

No dedicated video memory equals poor gaming performance no matter how you slice it.

Mac_OS 11-18-2007 09:37 AM

you don't buy macbooks for games, if you did you will be disappointed, they are education based notebooks, if you want to run games you need a macbook pro. Macbooks are great notebooks in every field barring gaming.

Mac_OS 11-18-2007 09:38 AM

they should add a dedicated graphics card, i think this is the downfall of the macbook range, not being a gamer or heavy graphics user it wasn't such a deterrent for me

Mac_OS 11-18-2007 11:32 AM

i didnt i said in theory

JerrfyLube 11-18-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_OS (Post 530751)
they should add a dedicated graphics card, i think this is the downfall of the macbook range, not being a gamer or heavy graphics user it wasn't such a deterrent for me

Thats why they make the MBP.

Mac_OS 11-27-2007 03:29 PM

i think apple could but they want there to be more of a gap between the mb and the mbp. Examples of this can be seen in apple misleading of the max ram that can be put in it, apple say max is 2gb but everyone knows you can have up to 3gb

Brandon 11-27-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_OS (Post 536842)
Examples of this can be seen in apple misleading of the max ram that can be put in it, apple say max is 2gb but everyone knows you can have up to 3gb

Is this true? Really? I feel like I've heard conflicting reports on that. I got my Macbook in May 2007, just before they came out with the 2.13 ghz ones. If my macbook has the capability to recognize 3GB RAM, I think I'll upgrade it.

devites 11-27-2007 08:52 PM

I have the new 2.2 ghz and oblivion does not run smoothly. Sorry but you need a macbook pro. Games that run smoothy that I play are: Age of mythology (duh), Starcraft, Halo, Call of Duty, and Tony Hawk 2. So unless you like older games mbp.

SlickShoes 11-28-2007 05:20 AM

World of Warcraft runs pretty fine on my macbook

Ricky55 11-28-2007 07:52 AM

oblivion would run like a slide show on a mac with a 128mb video card.

The 8600 are not that great for games anyway, if you are into gaming stick to the PC.

CodeSamurai 12-09-2007 01:11 PM

I managed to get Oldblivion working on my fiances macbook (2.0 C2D White) It actually worked really well. You lose some of the "pretty" factor, but you can get around 20-25 fps and get the awesome story line. Something I found interesting is that she was able to play Oblivion on battery for about 2.5 hours, before the battery died. For oldblivion go here:

http://www.oldblivion.com/

I remember having to make a setting different so that it would start...if I remember, I'll edit. This should work slightly better with the newer revision macbooks. Not a ton, but enough :) Good luck.

Also, my 2 cents about not putting dedicated graphics in the macbook. Battery Life! You'd lose quite a bit, even if they decided to put an 8400m gs in there. I admire apple for keeping with the integrated. As technology progresses, I'm sure we'll see some form of a dedicated graphics, but for now, be happy that you can get nearly 5 hours out of a very powerful laptop, even if it does have integrated graphics. Try playing a game on macbook pro, suddenly you only have 1 hour of battery life. They each have their ups and downs.

Trent out