New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Keyboard oils damaing screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I got my MacBook Pro a couple months ago, and my Uncle (an avid Mac user) told me that I really should put a piece of cardboard in between the screen and keyboard when I close the screen, because the oil on my fingers will get on the keys, then on the screen, and it will cause damage to the screen over time.

He said that it happened to one of his MacBooks from a few years ago.

Do you think this has any validity? Does anyone else do this?
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

the screen doesn't touch the keyboard so i have no idea how that happened to him. he might of pushed down on it accidentally. i wouldn't worry about it though.
QUOTE Thanks
verminofmsu

verminofmsu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)

The Macbook screen doesn't touch the keyboard. I've had a titanium G4 for the last 4 years, the screen did touch the keyboard and after about 2 years I started getting small scratches and smudges from prolonged contact with the keyboard. He had a powerbook, not a macbook, and cardboard is not the preferred solution. I had two different materias I used one was a faux leather, the other was a Gel. The leather worked the best but there were still marks on the screen. Again you don't have anthing to worry about with Macbook. Enjoy it...
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Wow. Thank you so much. It's quite irritating when I'm in class to put a piece of cardboard under my desk while I'm using my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

I picked up one of these: http://www.allsop.com/mouse-pads/pc-...use-pad-black/

I need a mouse pad for my external mouse, my desk at the office is stainless steel. It fits nicely inside, over the keys and allows the screen to close normally.

Now that I think about it though. The oils off my wrist and hand may be getting on the pad, then sitting next to the screen. I will make an effort to put the bottom of the pad towards the screen now.

Thanks for adding something else I need to worry about (I have issues).

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Is there a point in having that? kkelly122 and verminofmsu said that the keyboard doesn't touch the screen.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

if you put any pressure on the top of the computer yes it does touch the screen. You can tell after a while as you will start to see small scratches on the screen. I had one for my iBook, not only does it protect the screen, it also doubles as a microfiber cleaning cloth.

QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
if you put any pressure on the top of the computer yes it does touch the screen. You can tell after a while as you will start to see small scratches on the screen. I had one for my iBook, not only does it protect the screen, it also doubles as a microfiber cleaning cloth.
What if I don't put anything on top of it, but it's always in a case, sideways?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

does anything lean on it while its in the case? I had mine in a neoprene case in my backpack along with a few text books, and the screen and keyboard touched.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fans | Bluish tint and/or faded colors? »