New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Questions about Macbook Pro? New to Macs


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
dcwang3

 
Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
Posts: 14
dcwang3 is on a distinguished road

dcwang3 is offline
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to Macs. I'm think about getting a macbook pro. I was thinking about getting the basic 2.2ghz, with 2 gb ram, 160 gb hard drive...

My main concern is compability issues...

I am majoring in electrical engineer and using a windows based system is in high demand especially in engineering. I know there is parallel and bootcamp so I can run whatever windows OS.

-How do the two rate? Is parallel better or bootcamp better? Is it very efficient and effective? Any lag? Disadvantages?


Also, could you tell me about the hard drive format compability between mac and windows. I have a lacie NTFS external hard drive that I use, and I know that mac will be able to read the NTFS format but it will not write. I heard about mac fuse.

-How effective is mac fuse? Is there any other format that windows and mac are both able to read and write?


Thanks in Advance!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,578
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwang3 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and new to Macs. I'm think about getting a macbook pro. I was thinking about getting the basic 2.2ghz, with 2 gb ram, 160 gb hard drive...
Welcome. What are your reasons for wanting to switch to a Mac?

Quote:
My main concern is compability issues...

I am majoring in electrical engineer and using a windows based system is in high demand especially in engineering. I know there is parallel and bootcamp so I can run whatever windows OS.

-How do the two rate? Is parallel better or bootcamp better? Is it very efficient and effective? Any lag? Disadvantages?
Parallels runs Windows in a so-called virtual machine. Performance is very good and very usable, but since the hardware is virtualized, you will not get the same performance as you will in Boot Camp. The advantage of Parallels is that you can run Windows simultaneously with Mac OS, and even integrate the two to some extent with "coherence" mode. With Boot Camp, you're simply installing Windows directly on your machine in a dual-boot configuration. That is, you can choose which OS you want to run at boot time, but not run both simultaneously. The main advantage is that you get to take full advantage of the hard, including full 3D graphics support.

Quote:
Also, could you tell me about the hard drive format compability between mac and windows. I have a lacie NTFS external hard drive that I use, and I know that mac will be able to read the NTFS format but it will not write. I heard about mac fuse.

-How effective is mac fuse? Is there any other format that windows and mac are both able to read and write?
You can read NTFS partitions natively in Mac OS. MacFUSE will allow you to write as well. You can also format your drive in FAT32 (using the Mac, since Windows enforces an artificial limit on partition size) for compatibility between the two OSes.

Also, currently in beta testing is Paragon NTFS for Mac, which is an easy to install commercial product that will retail for $30. It allows for full write support in Mac OS.

Quote:
Thanks in Advance!!!!
Sure. Definitely weigh this carefully though - Macs are not the same as Windows machines even though the hardware is now very similar since Macs use Intel processors. If you are not willing to try something new, then do yourself a favor and stick with Windows. We see a fair number of people who switch on a whim, only to find disappointment because not everything works the same way they're used to it working in Windows.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

 
Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
Posts: 14
dcwang3 is on a distinguished road

dcwang3 is offline
Thanks for the reply!! It really helped me out...

I am switching to a mac because ever since vista came out, it is so terrible...Plus macs seem to be highly reliable and defintiely more stable than a PC-windows based system.

With the dual booting, windows/mac os, it ultimately gives me more versatility. Most likely, I will use the mac os mainly for multimedia and ease. I will use the windows os for things I can't do on a mac, especially with being an engineering major with windows based software etc...


Also, i was reading about VMware Fusion...how is that compared to Parallel? But I suppose boot camp is better just because it is not a virtual machine, but parallel and fusion have the ability and convenience to swicth between OSes without rebooting, correct?

Quote:
Sure. Definitely weigh this carefully though - Macs are not the same as Windows machines even though the hardware is now very similar since Macs use Intel processors. If you are not willing to try something new, then do yourself a favor and stick with Windows. We see a fair number of people who switch on a whim, only to find disappointment because not everything works the same way they're used to it working in Windows.
What kinds of things do you mean by this?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

 
Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
Posts: 14
dcwang3 is on a distinguished road

dcwang3 is offline
Also, how is the leopard OS? What is your take on it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,578
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwang3 View Post
Thanks for the reply!! It really helped me out...

I am switching to a mac because ever since vista came out, it is so terrible...Plus macs seem to be highly reliable and defintiely more stable than a PC-windows based system.

With the dual booting, windows/mac os, it ultimately gives me more versatility. Most likely, I will use the mac os mainly for multimedia and ease. I will use the windows os for things I can't do on a mac, especially with being an engineering major with windows based software etc...


Also, i was reading about VMware Fusion...how is that compared to Parallel? But I suppose boot camp is better just because it is not a virtual machine, but parallel and fusion have the ability and convenience to swicth between OSes without rebooting, correct?
Parallels and Fusion are very similar in terms of technology and capability. Parallels is a more mature product, and as I understand it, allows for better 3D support. With that said, Fusion is produced by VMWare which is a pioneer in the VM field - and so I'm sure their product will mature very quickly.

Oh, and it's not switching - you literally run the virtualized OS at the same time as Mac OS. To be quite honest, I see no reason to use Boot Camp unless you're playing games where full 3D support is needed. Otherwise, everything runs just fine in Parallels.

Quote:
What kinds of things do you mean by this?

Thanks!
For example: the close, minimize and maximize buttons are on the left side of the window in Mac OS. They also don't behave exactly the same way as they do in Windows. That doesn't mean that the Windows way is the right way, it just means that they're different - and it's something you need to get used to as a switcher.

We see a lot of people go on rants, complaining about trivial differences like this. When you switch, you're switching because you want something different than Windows - so, don't be surprised when you find that it is, indeed, different

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,578
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwang3 View Post
Also, how is the leopard OS? What is your take on it?
There's a lot of great new features, but just as with any new OS release, there's still plenty of bugs too. But if you need a new computer now, I wouldn't let that hold you back.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

 
Member Since: Nov 16, 2007
Posts: 14
dcwang3 is on a distinguished road

dcwang3 is offline
I appreciate the feedback!
QUOTE Thanks
caqmr

 
Member Since: Mar 15, 2007
Posts: 26
caqmr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz

caqmr is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
We see a lot of people go on rants, complaining about trivial differences like this. When you switch, you're switching because you want something different than Windows - so, don't be surprised when you find that it is, indeed, different
Wow!!! This statement should be chizeled into stone, and securely screwed, glued and mounted at the top of this forum. I don't think that any statement has made more sense, or been more applicable to this forum EVER. Kudos!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Cleaning black macbook | Macbook Keyboard Stopped Working »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
19 Days with a Macbook Pro b.hicks Switcher Hangout 23 03-01-2010 12:49 AM
Just got a new MacBook Pro and have a few questions Atlas Switcher Hangout 6 09-24-2007 05:16 PM
Two more newbie questions! Macbook Pro. BmwM3AF Switcher Hangout 3 09-12-2007 03:02 PM
Just received my Macbook pro ! Few Questions l!m!t Switcher Hangout 2 01-16-2007 10:01 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?